Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you call these two stars? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-call-these-two-stars-t271833.html)

bearisgray 11-03-2015 10:38 AM

What do you call these two stars?

1 Attachment(s)
I was checking Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns - and not having much success -

I was introduced to the bottom one as "LeMoyne Star" - it is a bit cumbersome referring it to as "a star made of eight rhomboids with 45-135-45-135 degree angles.

It is also a bit cumbersome referring to the top one as "an eight-pointed star made of parallelograms with 45-135-45-135 angles drawn on a 4x4 grid"

They are similar - but definitely not identical.

feline fanatic 11-03-2015 11:03 AM

I too know that second one by the name LeMoyne Star.

The top one I don't have a name for it. The top one is commonly made using HST units to form the parallelograms and I have seen it used the most when making the Carpenter's star.

As with all things quilting there are many names for the same pattern.

Bree123 11-03-2015 11:28 AM

I've seen it referred to on many websites (including McCall's and Fons & Porter) and a "LeMoyne Star with no set-in seams"

Chester the bunny 11-03-2015 11:28 AM

There are different ways of making this star. Many years ago a dear lady made me my first quilt which today I still have and marvel at the piecing of this star. Not sure if she hand pieced it together.
I on the other hand use the method is Bethany Reynolds stack and whack which ends up having seems in the corners. Still looks good to me.

cjsews 11-03-2015 12:50 PM

The top one is a sawtooth star variation. Normally it would have a solid center square

ManiacQuilter2 11-03-2015 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7365221)
I too know that second one by the name LeMoyne Star.

The top one I don't have a name for it. The top one is commonly made using HST units to form the parallelograms and I have seen it used the most when making the Carpenter's star.

As with all things quilting there are many names for the same pattern.

In EQ, the top one is called and 8 pointed star and the second is a LeMoyne star. There can me numerous name for the same block.

Peckish 11-03-2015 04:18 PM

"Rhomboids"?? You know they have medication for that....

Sorry... couldn't resist.... :D

ThreadHead 11-03-2015 04:40 PM

LeMoyne Star

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7365197)
I was checking Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns - and not having much success -

I was introduced to the bottom one as "LeMoyne Star" - it is a bit cumbersome referring it to as "a star made of eight rhomboids with 45-135-45-135 degree angles.

It is also a bit cumbersome referring to the top one as "an eight-pointed star made of parallelograms with 45-135-45-135 angles drawn on a 4x4 grid"

They are similar - but definitely not identical.

The top one you can find on Eleanor Burns videos, and the bottom one you can find on you tube Missouri Quilts, big star quilts.
Sylvia

quilting cat 11-03-2015 05:06 PM

It depends on where you look -- I found each of them labeled "LeMoyne Star" in at least one 21st century book!
I, personally, call the first one "8 pointed star" and the second "Lemoyne Star".

twinkie 11-04-2015 04:29 AM

Thanks for the information on these blocks.