Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you charge to rescue a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-charge-rescue-quilt-t65239.html)

Illsa 09-17-2010 12:55 PM

A friend said her daughter was having trouble with a quilt she purchased to make for her daughter and the little girl is going to be 5 years soon and the quilt was as yet unfinished.
I inherited the project. I had to recut the blocks, cut the sashings, border and border and binding, backing. Sew together and now quilt the quilt. The quilt is 74 X 104. I have not purchased fabric so don't know the price of the fabric.
It originally was a Whinnie The Pooh but we changed out the Whinnie the Pooh block for a flower as Whinnie just didn't do it for an almost 5 year old.
Thanks
Illsa

amma 09-17-2010 12:57 PM

I am not sure... I would suggest discussing the price before you do the work. At this point, you may want to negotiate a price with her?

Candace 09-17-2010 01:35 PM

Depends on how good a friend....

GrammaNan 09-17-2010 02:02 PM

I thought you would get a kick out of this:

Here is the price chart in my DH garage.

$50.00 per hour
$75.00 per hour if you watch
$100.00 per hour if you help
$150.00 per hour if you tried to fix it yourself but couldn't

ckcowl 09-17-2010 02:05 PM

i charge $20 an hour for sewing for people. but in this case you really should have discussed a price before ever taking it on. for good friends i have done repair work and finished things for flat rates..."oh, sure i can do that for you for about $25...or i could do that but it would probably cost about $100, do you really want to go that route?" it really depends on the project; time involved; who i am doing it for, how extensive the repair work is...
your time is valuable, if you are going to sew for others you need to take the time to decide just how much your time is worth to you, how quickly you sew, your expected expenses (you need to remember, thread costs money, and wear and tear on your machine...don't short change yourself. (and that does not mean i do not sew for free plenty! i have a big family...but every once in awhile i refuse to do a sewing job even for family without being paid for it.

ckcowl 09-17-2010 02:09 PM

oh meant to say...i repaired a baby quilt for a lady one time...it was appliqued by her grandmother, she wanted to save it for her son...it was a rag!...i managed to repair the squares, find fabrics to repair some of the appliques, put a new backing and batting, re-quilted it (it was 36"x44") it cost her $125...and she was very happy to pay it, and thrilled with the end result! she never expected what she got!

hobo2000 09-17-2010 03:00 PM

Quilting on that size is minimum $100.00 plus your work, it should be $150.-200.00. Depending on time involved. We need to get paid for what we do and not back up to people and feel like we are overcharging. I charge $55.00 per hour for graphic work designing business cards & such. Quilting is much harder so why not charge a good price them maybe people will think more highly of quilts and quilting. The Amish do it.

Illsa 09-19-2010 04:29 AM

Love it. Thanks Illsa

Illsa 09-19-2010 04:30 AM

Hind sight is always 20/20. My fore sight is 10/5 I think.

Illsa 09-19-2010 04:31 AM

Thanks I had no idea what to charge. That gives me ideas.