Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you do with all of your hard work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-all-your-hard-work-t36994.html)

tlrnhi 02-15-2010 04:15 PM

All of mine have been given away. One of these days I'll keep one for myself

katier825 02-15-2010 04:16 PM

All of the above, except for save them. I make them to be used and loved! My hubby says the same thing. :) There are other things you can make to satisfy the quilting itch, such as table runners, placemats, purses/totes, Christmas items, etc.

amma 02-15-2010 04:19 PM

There has to be a reason :shock: :lol::lol:lol:
I quilt because I love to...I could give every one away and still be happy :D:D:D

Marjpf 02-15-2010 04:19 PM

I give most away, occasionally make one just for me that gets used. My Mother never uses them or gives them away. They are all neatly stored in a closet! (Last count was over 50 of them.) To me that is a waste. Quilts are made to keep you warm, and I think they look better when they've been loved.

peaceandjoy 02-15-2010 04:27 PM

Well, except for the first quilt I finished (Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin in a Day), every quitlt that has been finished has been given away. I have three tops that are waiting for... Something... One I love, but is covered w/ cat hair from DD's cat who was visiting & I've just not wanted to deal with it. Two are from a Thimbleberries club I was in. I keep thinking that I'm going to try to quilt them myself, lol. Don't love them enough to pay somebody else to do it.

Neither DD likes quilts - too traditional, I think. That said, I have blocks done for one for elder DD, very geometric, not my taste at all. That's to be a birthday gift for her later this year. She picked most of the fabrics, I think she wanted something I made. So although it's not my style, I'm committed to finishing it for her. Was going to be a gift last year, but as she decided not to come home for Christmas, I didn't feel a huge need to get it done.

Several things I'm working on now are for ME, a new concept... I like to have several things going on at once, so if I reach a point where I'm frustrated or bored I've got another choice until I can deal with whatever issue. So I have two Bonnie Hunter quilts that will be mine. I'm in the IRR, so while I'm working on tops for others, they are working on mine. I have a flannel top almost done (put away out of frustration). And a batik quilt that is for a June wedding gift.

Whatever happens later... You know, the BIG later, when I'm gone, lol... Well, it won't matter to me! So if somebody in the family or a friend wants them, fabulous. If not, finished ones are to be given to the needy, tops to my guild to finish and donate to a worthwhile cause.

Pzazz 02-15-2010 04:28 PM

So far, I only have one that I have made. The rest? Lets just say, I have a fairly extensive family!!! LOL And they don't all have a large one yet...some only have runners, or wall hangings...but I'm working on it.

Patti

Jamie 02-15-2010 04:32 PM

I usualy give mine away, actualy i usualy just make them for people...I don't have any of my own :( But If I did, I would be using them constantly, not only do I have a blanket fetish..but I LOVE LOVE LOVE quilts..I don't think you can have to many of them..or blankets for that matter.

craftiladi 02-15-2010 04:37 PM

Yep I am voting in with "all the above"...mostly my DGD's have recieved my quilts. I usually start them w/ someone in mind but I have a few on my to do list that are going to be for me.

athenagwis 02-15-2010 05:05 PM

Great thread! I love hearing what all of you are doing with your quilts as I have wondered the same thing!! I only have 3 quilts I finished 3 years ago (which are falling apart since I though 1/4 inch seams were optional at the time :)), but these three are well loved and used everyday. Then I have a Christmas one I finished a year and a half ago that I use at night, and a lap quilt I finished about a year ago that I use to keep me warm at work. I made a breast cancer quilt for a friend about 6 months ago (the only quilt I have given away) Then I have 2 quilts in the process of being quilted, and 3-4 being pieced. I am amazed at how many quilts some of you make and have always wondered what I would do with so many!! I am amazed at your generosity as I find it very difficult to part with them after all the time & money that goes into them. LOL But maybe if I get more than 5 finished I will change my mind!! Not sure though as I have promised my hubby a few that are in the process of being finished and quite honestly I'm not sure if I can part with them even for him!!! LOL

Cheers!
Rachel

bkb 02-15-2010 06:26 PM

So far I have given all I have made away. I am still "new" to quilting and love ALL of it!