Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with fat quarters? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-fat-quarters-t98510.html)

kathymarie 02-15-2011 06:32 AM

I find fq's are usually a bit more expensive than yardage. Lately I've been buying a bit more, cutting a half yard to make two fat quarters and taking a 2 1/2 strip for my own jelly rolls. I used to always cut a 6" strip off a piece of fabric when I used to exchange charms with guild members. I just made another Turning Twenty. That's about the quickest way to get the biggest, best bang out of twenty fat quarters.

bev195000 02-15-2011 01:19 PM

I use to do the same buy yards of fabric but then i try purchasing fat quarters from Ebay and this way i get bargains and so many different patterns and colours then its scrappy quilt time with odds and ends of fat quarters and yardage

bev195000 02-15-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maria C
I love fat quarters, but I also love scrap quits so they are perfect for that. In New Zealand fabric is expensive so this was the only way I could afford to buy it. It therefore cna take time to build up a stash but fun too. I also feel that why use four of a colour when you can use 20. It makes for a more interesting looking quilt.

I know how you feel fabric is very expensive in the UK so bargain hunt on ebay

djvaug 02-18-2011 12:40 PM

Beautiful!

djvaug 02-18-2011 12:43 PM

Truthfully, I have acquired a bunch of fat quarters, and I just like the way they look in my stash. It's ART. Beautiful, horded ART! Now I just have to figure out what to do with them.

Corky 02-18-2011 02:16 PM

i have lots of FQs and they are really useful for doing friendship block when you don't want to cut up large pieces. I also like having an assortment of 'background' fabrics for a quilt. Example is a blue churn dash quilt with assorted beige backgrounds.

Otherwise I'll buy yardage, especially focus fabrics. I hate not having enough of a perfect focus piece!!

Queen Mary 02-19-2011 09:20 PM

I made my son-in-law a "brick quilt" for Christmas. I used over 30 fat quarters of dark browns, blues, greens, reds, purples, blacks mostly tone on tone or read as solid fabrics. I picked them all at once of quality fabrics. The bricks finished 3"X6' in off set rows. It is very rich and is a really nice man quilt. I needed fat quarters to get the nice variety of fabrics.

coachmatthewsvhs 02-23-2011 03:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a twisted turning twenty with fat quarters..... super easy, super fast and very pretty.
You are supposed to use diagonal layout of light/dark. I found random turning to be more interesting!
Would love to show you but I don't know how to upload here.... figured it out.
This is just the top unquilted. I've since had it stippled

coachmatthewsvhs 02-23-2011 03:47 AM

yes I do!!!!

Pzazz 02-24-2011 02:50 PM

Mostly I buy yardage...but if I see fabric in a fat quarter that will "go" in a quilt I have on the back burner, (ie: I am collecting anything music, plus anything Japanese for a wedding quilt for my youngest son. Now he just needs to ask her already!!!! LOL)

FQ's can also be great fillers in a scrap quilt if you are short on a certain colour.

Patti