Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with Minkie scraps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-minkie-scraps-t301234.html)

nanna-up-north 11-29-2018 06:31 AM

What do you do with Minkie scraps?

I've just quilted my first quilt (a preemie) using Minkie on the back and now I have Minkie scraps. What do you do with Minkie scraps? I don't want to throw them away since they are pretty good sized pieces, not big enough for another quilt but ???? HELP!! What do you do with Minkie scraps?

feline fanatic 11-29-2018 06:42 AM

I have only backed one quilt with Minkee but I too could not bring myself to throw away the scraps which were a decent size. I ended up with strips about 6 to 8" by WOF and also some narrower strips. The quilt was a gift so I used some of the narrow strips to make a "ribbon" for the quilt. I folded it up and tied the ribbon of minkee around it. Then I took one of the wider ones and fringed the edges and included it so the little girl who got the quilt could use it as a winter muffler/scarf. I still have one decent size scrap left that is about 6" or so wide by about 24" long. I put it in my scrap stash.

I have seen people use small squares of minkee in fidget quilts. I was thinking they might be a fun addition to a child's quilt because they don't fray so you could do a raw edge applique with them and sew those down to a kids quilt to have little pops of soft for them to "pet".

Tartan 11-29-2018 07:19 AM

I have seen quilt tops pieced with Minkie squares and Minkie strips. You can also use small pieces to do the lovies that have a texture fabric with loops of ribbon around the edges for babies. Minkie might work for bibs as well. You might make yourself some seat belt covers for the car or a steering wheel cover for cold weather. A Minkie scarf sounds toasty.

Onebyone 11-29-2018 10:57 AM

I made one quilt using Minkee By the time I was done I didn't want to see any of it ever again. All scraps went in the trash. LOL

roguequilter 11-29-2018 12:11 PM

​TOYS!!!! also strip quilts as in chinese coins. i've cut out cat figures, backed and turned then stich down with edge zigzag. 3D flower petals for quilts and head bands & purses. i've done large applique of my late wolfdog on quilt for grand daughter who loved the wolf. purses, hats, boas ...i've even made a snake for kitties ..their very favorite toy to drag around and brag to me of thier "capture" :) i can't part w my minkie & faux fur scraps ..if i didn't have grands to sew for i'd make for charity or just donate to thrift ..children love the bright colors and super softness to touch and snuggle with. my grands are big girls now -11 & 9- and i've been thinking of sewing all the scraps together (crazy quilt block style), cutting out squares, sew squares together for couch throw for the family during video games or movies. these fabrics are stretchy, but easy to fmq w a domestic. i have a friend who says it takes a little more effort to position for quilting with a midarm, but it's doable & comes out great.

Crqltr 11-29-2018 03:12 PM

I use it when I do applique animals on my embroidery machine. Kids love it!

nanna-up-north 11-29-2018 06:58 PM

Great ideas. Thank you, everyone.

mamagrande 11-30-2018 12:47 AM

I had several pieces and my daughter had several pieces also so I just pieced them randomly backed it with flannel and longarm quilted it. They used it as a carpet in their bedroom. but like other scraps they multiply..I could make another one.

pahega 11-30-2018 03:47 AM

I used minky to make stuffed animals for baby gifts. I also used them in squares for a rag quilt mixed with flannel.

Karamarie 11-30-2018 05:16 AM

A simple use would be to just cut into 5" squares and use along with blocks of cotton for a simple scrappy squares quilt.