Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with a quilt top you don't want to finish? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-quilt-top-you-dont-want-finish-t254627.html)

Sisty88 10-01-2014 10:42 AM

I've got a quilt top that I made for my Aunt but I absolutely hate it, and will definitely make her a different one. It's been sat around for ages and I wanted to try a different method of basting (pin basting on a table, I usually spray baste on the floor, but it requires me to remove all the furniture from the living room!) so I experimented with the horrible quilt top! I think I'm also going to practice FMQ on it. I recently bought the book by Leah Day of her 365 FMQ designs, so I might just do a load of different designs and see what happens! It won't look pretty, but at least it will give me practice, so it won't be completely wasted!

MadQuilter 10-01-2014 10:44 AM

Someone will love it. Donate to a guild or goodwill. Maybe someone here will want to finish it.

quilt1950 10-01-2014 01:30 PM

I'm loosely connected to a quilt group that would love this quilt top. They make quilts for the homeless, for firefighters to carry with then, etc. They don't care about the fabric being 100% cotton. Ask around. I'll bet there is a similar group in your area.

Cedar 10-01-2014 01:39 PM

I know that my grandma uses her leftover polyester fabrics in charity quilts. I've actually got a couple that she gave me for my car. She insisted I take them when she found out I didn't have a blanket in my car one winter. So polyester is pleant appreciated.

ghostrider 10-01-2014 02:23 PM

I love the 'experiments' idea! Frankenquilt it !! :)

ManiacQuilter2 10-01-2014 02:39 PM

Donate it to a church or a senior center group or maybe a guild that will finish it for charity. There is a charity that takes tops, blocks or fabrics. Provides quilts of comfort to people who have had experience a disaster such as floods, tornado, hurricane or fire in the US. That is where my quilts and UFOs will go when I am dead.

Quilts of Compassion
PO Box 350296
Toledo OH 43635

Janice Grimes
[email protected]

carolaug 10-01-2014 02:46 PM

You could cut it up into squares and make practice/test panels for FMQ'ing

Boston1954 10-01-2014 03:35 PM

I don't want you to feel discouraged but I have a number of quilts that I have "abandoned" in various stages of work. If I do not finish them, I figure someone else will. I do not stress about it any more.

Jennie and Me 10-01-2014 08:47 PM

In these trying times, with so many homeless people, I would finish it and donate it to a homeless shelter or a battered women's shelter. There are so many people who would welcome that quilt as a way to keep warm. Especially if this coming winter is as bad as the predictions. JMHO

Annaquilts 10-01-2014 10:33 PM

I agree, do not finish it, don't throw it away but donate it.