Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do at a quilting retreat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-quilting-retreat-t116625.html)

Plain Jane 04-16-2011 01:00 PM

What do you do on a quilting retreat? Are they always large ones in hotels or are they sometimes in people's homes? Are there certain standard activities or do they change depending on the venue? So you do anything other than quilt? Well, of course, I know you eat chocolate, but other than that? Obviously I've never been on one, and I'm just wondering. Thanks!

kriscraft99 04-16-2011 01:10 PM

I've never been - but I bet it would be an absolute blast! Lots of home made sweets, lots of laughter, trading of fabrics and maybe a little bit of sewing :)

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
What do you do on a quilting retreat? Are they always large ones in hotels or are they sometimes in people's homes? Are there certain standard activities or do they change depending on the venue? So you do anything other than quilt? Well, of course, I know you eat chocolate, but other than that? Obviously I've never been on one, and I'm just wondering. Thanks!

pjustice63 04-16-2011 01:35 PM

Been to several. Try to take a project that you already have cut out and can work through to completion or just sit and sew obw hexagons together. It is really nice to do something that is kind of boring so you can talk to your friends and forget that it's boring. The good thing to remember is there is no one calling for food or hand me a tool. No distractions so you can concentrate on what you want to do.... sew.
It is a great way to make new sewing friends too. We find that the same group usually ends up coming each time. You will pick up a lot of little tips if you are having a problem. Always someone there to help.
Hope you will try one.

sewwhat85 04-16-2011 01:40 PM

our guild has 2 a year. We hold them at a christen camp. They start on Friday morning 8 am to Sunday 3pm. FUN FUN FUN. We rent a wonderful lodge. http://www.wildernessretreatcenter.com/lodges.html it has room for about 25 and the basement is perfect for sewing. They provide the tables and ironing boards and even hung a line to hang our finished quilt tops on completely around the room. We set up two ping pong ball tables to cut on and each have a folding table for sewing. We have one wonderfully talented guild member that designs and writes a mystery quilt. Every body brings things to work on until the mystery begins at 4 o'clock on Friday. We will have 2 or three demos during the weekend. We divide up the meals so your group only has to prepare one meal during the weekend. Saturday we have a masseur come in and she is wonderful!!! We have a raffle basket, gift exchange, games, some of the girls play cards, go on walks. It is the best.And it is in 2 weeks. Yea

whinnytoo 04-16-2011 01:50 PM

Ive been to two and we 'quilt till we wilt'..... sew all night long, stay in our pj's, talk about anytyhng and everythng and just have a blast

Joanie2 04-16-2011 02:05 PM

I've been going for years. Sleeping is dorm style - 3-5 beds per room with several rooms. 2 huge buildings to sew in. Large dining hall where meals are provided to us buffet style. Lots of natural all around so we could hike or whatever. I always bring 2 or more projects in case I get bored. One gal brings tons of projects in various stages--some just need a border or binding. Lots of fun chatter; challenges for charity quilts; prizes and just tons of fun with old friends and new friends. Always organized and definitely worth every penny of the $250 for 3 days. If you've never been, you have to give it a try. You won't ever regret it.

cheryl rearick 04-16-2011 02:08 PM

What is a"guild" what do they do??? thanks

BabyCakes 04-16-2011 02:30 PM

SEW/SEW/SEW. EAT/EAT/EAT. LAUGH/LAUGH/LAUGH. SLEEP.SEW/SEW/SEW. EAT/EAT/EAT. LAUGH/LAUGH/LAUGH.

Sassylass 04-16-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BabyCakes
SEW/SEW/SEW. EAT/EAT/EAT. LAUGH/LAUGH/LAUGH. SLEEP.SEW/SEW/SEW. EAT/EAT/EAT. LAUGH/LAUGH/LAUGH.

I do believe you hit it right on the nail!!!Plus have an awesome time with friends you haven't met yet. :)
Sass

Joanie2 04-16-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
What is a"guild" what do they do??? thanks

There is a guild in your area - Truckee. Just google Quilt Guilds Nevada and you should find the Truckee Quilters Guild. You might try checking it out. Good way to meet fellow quilters always willing to teach and share.