Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-quilts-you-make-t195969.html)

Bluehouse 07-30-2012 04:54 AM

Great answer ! My mother-in-law is ALWAYS after me about "all those quilts". I can't get her to understand that this is my hobby/passion. I sew ! Maybe we can compare it to golf......a golfer just keeps playing the same game over and over..(you would think once would be enough ! LOL )..... Only as quilters, we have something to show for it.

reginalovesfabric 07-30-2012 04:57 AM

ditto on ckcowl

Caswews 07-30-2012 06:01 AM

I usually make them for family, especially the grands.

burchquilts 07-30-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5400188)
I don't have one single quilt I have made. They are all given away as gifts!

I used to have that same problem till I decided I was tired of being like the shoemaker's children! LOL! Now I make about 1/3 for gifts, 1/3 for charity & 1/3 for ME!

burchquilts 07-30-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieG (Post 5402314)
I've often thought if I was very industrious (I'm not yet!) and had a giant stack of quilts at Christmas time, I would just let people choose which one they want

My sister in law wrapped all her quilts in the same type box, wrote a # on them from 1-9 (had nine siblings), then had each sibling draw a card..they got the quilt that corresponded to the card they drew...she wanted each of her siblings to have something she made (the quilts were ones she'd made in the previous 3-4 years.

What a great system to distribute quilts! That way there's no fighting... brilliant!

burchquilts 07-30-2012 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by bglock1 (Post 5402607)
I, too, am pretty new at quilting, but have been pretty industrious since beginning in January. I've made three full size quilts for my MIL, mom& grandmother for Mothers day. Several lap quilts for my husband, 3 daughters, dad and one for the cats. One baby quilt for a young girl that was having a very rough pregnancy (everything turned out well in the end) and 4 wall quilts, 1 for my aunt's b-day, 1 for me and 2 for my youngest daughter, who swears everything I make is hers! Currently, I am working on a lap quilt for my oldest daughter and her fiancé as they are closing on their first home next week. I think that about sums it up! Oh and a set of four potholders for my oldest daughter too.

"Pretty industrious" is an understatement! LOL! Your needle has been flying!!!

burchquilts 07-30-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5403706)
I feel horrible. I have never given a quilt to charity. I give them to family only, and to my husband. I buy the expensive fabric and have them LA quilted and I don't know if I could spend that much money on a quilt and then give it to charity. That would be like $250. Am I horrible??? I don't machine quilt, so I can't defray the cost of the quilt by doing it myself. I give them as Christmas, Anniversary, birthday, etc. gifts. I just don't know if I could donate one. Now I feel bad. I read how all of you donate so many of your quilts. 20 a month? I don't make that many in a year. I feel guilty for not donating. Maybe I could make pillowcases and donate them, but I just can't do a $250 quilt.

No, you're not a horrible person. It is expensive to donate quilts (tho there are charities that will LA them for you so that expense is gone), but you can deduct the cost off your taxes, which makes it somewhat less painful.

You could make pillowcases for that pillowcase cause (1000 Pillowcases maybe?) or Little Dresses for Africa (pillowcase dresses).

bakermom 07-30-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5405220)
What a great system to distribute quilts! That way there's no fighting... brilliant!

DH's grandma did that years ago with the afghans she made for her (20+)GKs. If they wanted to trade afterward she didn't care. her method avoided a lot of hard feelings.

athenascooter 07-30-2012 06:49 AM

I have the quilts for family members who have said they like and only give if I know they appreciate the work involved. My MIL doesn't I have yet to see anything I have made for her. I also told my husband when I die the kids can fight over them and some of the tops have to be quilted and they can do or pay to have it done. I just love to make quilts.

MleS123 07-30-2012 07:03 AM

Hi nygal,

Love your DJ.

Emily