Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you do.......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-t14773.html)

Bevanger 12-28-2008 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Celeste

Originally Posted by minstrel
OR.... I have a 6 ft. folding table that I bring out, smooth out my backing, centered on the table, then the batting and top and start basting from the middle, then move to the top or bottom and baste those (I usually thread baste because it's easier when I machine quilt, but I HAVE pinned).

My mom and I have done this and used the really large binder clips to keep the 'sandwich' taught. (spelled correctly?)

thanks everyone. i'm getting better ideas then the way i did it :roll:

Bevanger 12-28-2008 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I ususally go to our church that DH is a pastor at and use tables pushed togther, or on the floor. I spray baste and then mostly do a simple machine quilting. I am ususally able to recruit friends or my dh or someone to help me baste, it is too hard to do by myself. do you have afriend or husband you can recruit to help you now and then when doing large quilts?

hubby helped me with the skull quilt :D

Bevanger 12-28-2008 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lynda in TN
Senior Centers and libraries sometimes let you do it, too. Actually, most Senior Centers have quilt groups...so do a lot of churches.

never thought of that.....thanks :D

Bevanger 12-28-2008 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
is there someplace nearby, like a church or community center, where you could use a meeting room, push some tables together, and work on those?

i usually make lap and crib size quilts. on the few bed-size quilts i've done, i've draped the whole thing over my kitchen table (or kitchen counter) and sprayed/smoothed/pinned/basted from the center out. once the center is done, i work on table/counter-sized sections until it's all conquered.

if the design includes sashing between the blocks, you can also use one of many different methods to quilt it in sections, and then attach the sections to each other. complete the quilt by attaching the sashing to the front ... also in manageable sections.

i don't usually use a traditional binding. i try to leave at least one or two extra inches of back and batting all the way around. i attach strips to the back. i turn them to the front and use them as a combination last border and binding.

i'm gonna ask hubby if he could ask his boss if i can use the banquet room at the restraunt he cooks at :P

sandpat 12-28-2008 06:40 AM

Bev, like you, I've found I'm just too old to use the floor..my back and knees just can't handle it for the length of time it takes..so, I clear out the kitchen. I've made a cardboard cover for our kitchen table from a box. I've taped toothpicks to the center of the cover on each end and on the sides. So I lay the cover on the table, lay the back over it , center and smooth it and then I use those big Binder clips to pull the back really tight over the edges of the table. Then I lay on the batting, smooth..then the top..center and smooth it. Then begins the pinning. I use a grapefruit spoon close. Good luck...I have to start this process in the next few days with a big girl too..its my least favorite part. :(

GailG 12-31-2008 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i don't usually use a traditional binding. i try to leave at least one or two extra inches of back and batting all the way around. i attach strips to the back. i turn them to the front and use them as a combination last border and binding.

I need to know more about this. Is it like turning the backing onto the front for a binding?

Also, for basting or pinning, I basically do what some of you do:: After spreading it out on the floor (I have to move furniture to have enough space) and pinning the layers together roughly, I use my snackbar and work from the center, using the chairs to support the bulk of the opposite end. It has worked for me, but I really think I will go to the senior center and use the tables there. (And I'd bet there will be one or two quilters who will be willing to help.)

Billie G 12-31-2008 07:01 AM

Glad you are feeling better, Bev. Been worried about you. Happy New Year to you & yours, also.

Just wanted to say, I clear off my kitchen table & use that. It is not the best solution, but it works for me. I just pin & than go from there. Sometimes I go to the Lodge, (restuarnt)sp- & use one of their banzuet tables. It just has to be a day they are open, tho. LOL
Good luck.

Billie