Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-t214227.html)

Kathy Osterby 02-19-2013 09:45 AM

I only make small wall sizes quilts so I usually just get fat quarters or charm packs. That way I get a bigger stash with more varity that I couldn't afford in yardage. So it all depends on your style and plans for the quilt size.

Central Ohio Quilter 02-19-2013 10:00 AM

I rarely make small wall-size quilts and don't care much for scrappies, so I never buy the precuts - charm packs or layer cakes, etc. I rarely buy fat quarters. If I think a fabric would make a good focus for a quilt, I would buy 2 or 3 or 4 yards. If I think it would make a good accent fabric, maybe a yard or two. If I am thinking the back for a quilt, I might get 5 or 6 yards. If I have no idea what I would use it for, but I just love it, I would probably get 2 yards.

Like Kathy Osterby said above, it all depends on your style and your plans. The more you quilt, the better you will get at knowing your style!

BTW - welcome!

Jackie Spencer 02-19-2013 12:24 PM

If I see something I really love, I do not put off buying it. Everytime I have, when I go back to buy, there's not enough of the fabrics I wanted to make a large quilt.

charity-crafter 02-19-2013 12:37 PM

For me it depends on price, if it's a sale price and I absolutely love-love it then I'll get up to 5 yds of each fabric in the collection that I love. Most of my quilts go to charity so I tend not to look at the non-sale fabrics. I'd go bankrupt. 5 yds is roughly what I need for backing. So I know I have enough to do something with.

I had bought just 1 yard or a fat quarter of something I loved in the past, but I've found that sometimes it's hard to find good coordinating fabric a few years later. Or it's not enough for my idea.

ube quilting 02-19-2013 03:28 PM

I would buy two yards each of the fabrics in the collection that I liked the best but never the entire collection, just the main ones. I can find supporting fabrics in other places and then whatever I eventually make won't look like a manufactured selection.
peace

joyce888 02-19-2013 03:40 PM

I first pick all the fabrics that I like in the line. Then I decide what fabrics would work for each part of the quilt. If it is a large print that would work for a border then I buy according to the size of quilts I usually make and most of the time that's 2.5 yards. Then if one of these fabrics would be sashing again based on the size of quilt I usually make buy accordingly. The remaining fabrics I would probably get a yard each.

Dolphyngyrl 02-19-2013 08:07 PM

Its your choice, precuts can be more expensive, but it can also be an easy way to get a variety of coordinating fabrics. There are many patterns for precuts.

JeanneS 02-19-2013 11:25 PM

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I think I would like to make a large quilt from this line some day so I am going to choose a few of the fabrics I like and order some yardage of those.

FubsyMog 02-20-2013 03:04 AM

This is a really interesting thread for me. I haven't been quilting very long and was also wondering about the best way to go about building a stash - so far I have only really bought FQ for stashing, but I have bought yardage for a specific quilt. I have found that often the FQ's just don't last as long as I would like so will be thinking of buying larger quantities next time.

Lizzytish 02-20-2013 03:09 AM

I will usually buy yardage at least a yard. Depending on the price. But trying really hard to use up what I have ha. I lost this battle Sunday when Joanne s had some nice fabric at 1/2 price. Oh well there's always tomorrow to try again!