Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-tucks-folds-your-backing-t234546.html)

JENNR8R 11-11-2013 07:21 PM

What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

2 Attachment(s)
I had a bright idea to combine two types of basting and ended up with the first ever tucks and folds in my quilt backing. It's waaaaay too late to take the quilting out now. (It looks worse than these pictures... the second picture has a quarter-inch fold in it!)

What do you do when this happens?

Quilting D 11-11-2013 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 6399967)
I had a bright idea to combine two types of basting and ended up with the first ever tucks and folds in my quilt backing. It's waaaaay too late to take the quilting out now. (It looks worse than these pictures... the second picture has a quarter-inch fold in it!)

What do you do when this happens?

If it is too late to go back then smile and go forward. I think that often a quilt is not loved for its perfection but for the love that went into it. I would love to see a picture of the front, I bet it is lovely!

snipforfun 11-11-2013 08:22 PM

You need to prepare the back so this doesnt happen next time. Once this happens just go on and find out how to avoid it next time.

Peckish 11-11-2013 08:29 PM

Wash it. :) A lot of mistakes are made less noticeable after washing & drying.

Tartan 11-11-2013 08:31 PM

After the temper tantrum stops, I take out the quilting and fix it if it is on a solid back. On a patterned back, I have used an invisible ladder stitch to stitch the fold down and if I didn't point it out, you would never see it. I highly recommend patterned backing fabric.
Is someplace you can hand stitch some appliqués for a reversible quilt?

reneaunoel 11-11-2013 08:33 PM

My first FMQ bed runner, I overstretched the top, in relation to the back (first time FMQ'ing and with using the Frame! DUH!) and had one really massive "flap" of fabric. SO, I took the plunge, and actually folded the flap across the entire width and "stitched" it down. When I quilted over it, it wasn't visible. I washed it, then showed it to co-workers, several of whom are very accomplished quilters and NO ONE even noticed. I did piece the back, so maybe everyone thought it was a seam and not a boo-boo! Keeps us humble, doesn't it?!

JENNR8R 11-11-2013 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6400047)
After the temper tantrum stops, I take out the quilting and fix it if it is on a solid back. On a patterned back, I have used an invisible ladder stitch to stitch the fold down and if I didn't point it out, you would never see it. I highly recommend patterned backing fabric.
Is someplace you can hand stitch some appliqués for a reversible quilt?

I was thinking about 'hemming' the folds down after I'm finished, but I didn't know if that would make it worse or not. This is a challenge quilt that required all solid fabrics. The darned thing has to go into our local show next year. I was going to give it away after that, but I don't think I could with the back looking so bad.

AudreyB 11-11-2013 09:10 PM

First, I try to not let them happen. However, being other than perfect, it occasionally happens. When it does happen, I iron the fold as flat as I can and then sew it down with a blind stitch. A hidden stitch isn't as obvious as an open fold. Right or wrong, that's what I do.

Candace 11-11-2013 10:34 PM

Those tucks and folds may be the perfect spot for an applique on the back or a label:>

quiltinghere 11-12-2013 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 6400122)
Those tucks and folds may be the perfect spot for an applique on the back or a label:>

I agree! what do some say about an 'error' or 'mistake' turning into a 'design choice'! Think outside the box for a minute...I'm sure you'll come up with a cool design feature!

Nan