Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with the unused stabilizer for embroidery projects (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-unused-stabilizer-embroidery-projects-t106627.html)

Margie 03-11-2011 02:50 PM

I use the "donut hole" method for large hoops too. Cut away only what you have to, leave the remaining part hooped and just sew in the middle piece(good for when doing multiple large projects.

ljgraham 03-11-2011 02:52 PM

someone showed me how to hoop my material, set it up in your machine and place a piece of stabilizer underneath. no need to hoop a whole piece. Can stick it on the back with spray if you want to. use's up those small pieces

callie 03-11-2011 02:56 PM

Depends on the type of stabilizer. If it's iron on - no need to sew, just iron pieces in where you have a hole.
For Water soluable fiberous I take and cut my WS extra large because that way I can compensate for the amount you have excess all the way around and get much more on the water soluable - thus wasting less of it. If I am floating - often times you can use excess pieces. For cut away - zig zag works. Good Luck and for sure - save that stabilizer, especially at the cost of it today!

bamamama 03-11-2011 02:57 PM

I cut it down as close to the embroidery and save the excess for a smaller project, but I've never considered piecing it together. It is an awesome idea. Thanks for all your ideas.

Marysewfun 03-11-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ljgraham
someone showed me how to hoop my material, set it up in your machine and place a piece of stabilizer underneath. no need to hoop a whole piece. Can stick it on the back with spray if you want to. use's up those small pieces

I do much the same - in fact I have even taken like a 4 1/2 sq of stabilizer, marked the center, match it to the center of the fabric that will be hooped and embroidered, and lightly taped down the corners of the stabilizer where I know the pattern will not be stitching. Now that is cheap!! - but it has worked! :lol:

whinnytoo 03-11-2011 03:20 PM

thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

Originally Posted by rutthy
If you are using the clear water soluble(it looks like plastic), when I have scraps left you can put it between 2 sheets of parchment paper and iron it together(no steam) just patch it up and you can reuse for another job. I have saved a lot of money by doing this.

Eileen 03-11-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I reuse mine all the time. I don't sew them together, I just lay them on top of each other. If the pieces are really scraggly, I use them for test runs.

I do the same. I also save the pieces from sticky back & try to but them up & use them. Stabilier is tooo expensive not to get the most out of the leftover pieces.

dash2000lbs 03-11-2011 04:21 PM

Thks nice tip!

Fran Juern 03-11-2011 04:32 PM

I cut my piece alittle longer so that when the embroidery is finished the stabilizer is still long enough for to more hoopings without wasting the side pieces.

Gladys 03-11-2011 04:45 PM

Very good ideas...I love this board.