Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do when... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-when-t274346.html)

quiltingshorttimer 01-10-2016 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7429888)
Hope to make you feel a little better... I once worked hard over some pretty intricate blocks for an Easter table runner. When I finally put them all together, I realized that they made repeating Swastika patterns in Easter colours. :hunf: Obviously, that one was one for the garbage pail.
Yours though sounds like you could put it together in a different setting and it wouldn't be exactly what you hoped, but might make a nice gift for someone else. THEY don't know there was supposed to be a red stripe.

Watson

LOL! I did a Christmas disappearing 9 patch and playing around after I cut the first 9 patch and realized it could be a red Swastika! Thank goodness for EQ7---really didn't want to have a Christmas swastika quilt!

Littledreamdevil 01-10-2016 10:05 PM

If you can live with out the red color forget it. If can't then take blocks apart and start over. I think I would try to live with out red or make some with red and some with out

DOTTYMO 01-11-2016 12:52 AM

If you have nearly finished your block total I would look for a new design. If you undo will you have enough fabric or can you get more.? Good luck in your decision.

Jeanne S 01-11-2016 02:51 AM

I would probably finish that quilt and give it away, charity or otherwise. Then do it again with the changes to make the quilt you want. The second will go a little quicker as you have the process down by now!!

quilterpurpledog 01-11-2016 03:20 AM

I am quite sure that I would take it out and re-do it according to my original plan. However, I would re-do one or two of the blocks and put them back together to be sure that it was really what I envisioned. Then, if I was sure about the new look I would schedule the block deconstruction, one or two at a time, into some days. That way it won't be a daunting task. I wish you luck in making your decision and hope you won't it become a UFO.

Fastpedal 01-11-2016 04:30 AM

If it is only that piece that is involved I would remove it and replace it with the correct piece. Means ripping out a few seams but should not be too hard to sew the new piece into place. Been there, done that.

toverly 01-11-2016 04:31 AM

If it were one or two that were different, I'd say take them apart. IF they are all the same, go ahead and put it together. My quilts always change from design concept to completed quilt.

regm 01-11-2016 04:53 AM

Myself, it would depend on what the quilt was intended for. It it was for a specific gift, I would rework it. If it was for myself, I'd probably finish it and give it to charity.

Maggie77802 01-11-2016 06:56 AM

You could have said that you had made a "Good Fortune" quilt. The swastika was originally a good luck sign in Germany, before Hitler to it over.

romanojg 01-11-2016 07:11 AM

jannxin, I would lay them out, take a picture for future reference in case they get mixed up. Then sew each block together to make a row, the when done, lay them down again and compare to the picture to make sure they are lined up the way you want and then start at the top and sew each row together. That's the way I do and believe me, taking the pictures not only helps if they get mixed up but also to have the extra eye to make sure you like what you've layed out. Hope this helps