Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with your fabric scraps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-fabric-scraps-t163144.html)

Tweety2911 10-26-2011 05:18 AM

I am packing up and amazed at how much fabric I have accumulated over the years. Even though I have donated bags of scraps to quilting groups I find I have more. So, I have been going through the bins and getting rid of scraps...my DF just learned how to quilt and I am passing them on to her. Once I get settled I dream of cutting and organizing each scrap as posted. All great ideas :-)

judi wess 10-26-2011 05:30 AM

I leave them as is. You never know when you need that piece for an applique.

katsewnsew 10-26-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i leave all of my scraps as they are... i never know what i'll need it for, so the shape comes later

Same here!

SandySews 10-26-2011 05:38 AM

I never cut them until I decide what I want to do with them.

boomer47 10-26-2011 05:39 AM

Oh, thanks for the quiltville scrappy site - great!

Mona Marie 10-26-2011 05:48 AM

sew them together and make on old fashion crazy quilt. that is what I do.

Rhonda Lee 10-26-2011 05:54 AM

Scrap Users System by Bonnie Hunter; her website quiltville.com and Scraptherapy, Cut the Scraps (book) by Joan Ford have been my scrap salvation. I have combined their valuable methods and my "scrap world" has been tamed and is now user friendly. They both advised to "Do Something with Your Scraps so You will Use them." Otherwise scraps will just multiply and take up room for someday. I promise you once you delve into scraps and CUT them for future use you will use them. There are still scraps from the cutting that I use for scrap blocks, my term for just sewing random pieces together and cutting to whatever size block or pattern I want to use. Salvages and pieces smaller than 1/2 inch are used for stuffing.

hoppa 10-26-2011 05:55 AM

I cut them into strips and squares and sort them

Becka 10-26-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lgmdonna
What I mean is: the scraps that are oddly shaped, do you go ahead and cut them into squares and strips? Do you just leave it in it's wonky state?

I trim them to the largest strip or square that I can. I don't applique (never say never :) ) so don't keep the oddly shaped pieces in odd shapes. The smallest I cut is to 1" . I have the stackable plastic drawers that I keep them sorted in, and the smaller ones in plastic pencil boxes. That works so far, but I don't have a monstrous collection - yet... :)

Bebbysews 10-26-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I use them for scrap quilts whatever shape they are. I'm not sure what they call it but I use a muslin foundation and just use the flip and sew method. I just keep working around a center piece until I fill a 9" sq of muslin. I always have a stack going and as I finish a project all the bits and pieces that are to small for another project go into these blocks.

I like your idea of sewing onto the muslin, and I think that all kinds of shapes and colors make a beautiful scrappy quilt.