Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-finished-quilts-quilting-t227034.html)

lizzies home 08-02-2013 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 6209047)
I absolutely LOVE that idea! The elderly get cold so easily, and so many of them are the "forgotten ones". I will definitely start doing that!

From a former nurse who has worked in long term care facilities...use fabrics that can stand up to abuse. If the residents do not have families who take their laundry home to wash the detergents used at the facility can give the items a real bruising.

brenwalt 08-02-2013 04:48 AM

Wish I had that problem. I've been quilting for years and years and still don't have a quilt I sleep under!! Requests from family and gift occasions keep me busy quilting full time.......Wish I COULD accumulate a quilt stash!!

mckwilter 08-02-2013 06:06 AM

If there's a VA Hospital in your area, you could make wheelchair quilts. There are numerous groups -- Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, Marine Comfort Quilts, that are more than thankful to receive quilts.

klgls 08-02-2013 06:43 AM

I don't think I will ever catch up with requests for quilts - so I don't have that problem. :)

Taughtby Grandma 08-02-2013 07:00 AM

I mostly give my quilts to family and friends. When I'm making it sometimes it doesn't have a home, then someone comes over and falls in love and takes it home.

Pat625 08-02-2013 07:20 AM

I am about to begin my 14th grandbaby quilt. As long as no one gets pregnant, I will finally have made one for each. Next I have 5 of my 9 children to make for. In between I make charity quilts, and for gifts. After many years I finally made one for myself this past year. Once the family is done, I am hoping to make quilts for Shriners hospital, for all they have done for my daughter over many years

purplefiend 08-02-2013 09:56 AM

Most of my quilts are for 2 charity quilt groups that I sew with/for; The Linus Connection and Thank You Quilters. It's a joy to make quilts for people who don't complain about the quilt not matching their decor and specific color scheme.
I've been making charity quilts for about 25 years. I firmly believe, that God gave me the ability and talents to make quilts for the neediest of His people. I recently wanted to stop making these quilts; that night I had a dream where I saw many sad,cold children and soldiers who were needing a comfort quilt.
My family and other relatives all have one or more quilts.
Sharon

catjo 08-02-2013 10:47 AM

I make quilts for my chapter for Quilts for Kids. Bringing smiles to ill children is very rewarding.

GramMER 08-02-2013 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 321 (Post 6208864)
I love quilting but after a while you dont know what to do with your finished quilts and quilting unless you are going to sell it.What do you do with yours?

Literally every quilt I have made has a home before it is finished. Unfortunately, that means I do not own any, but I keep planning...

GramMER 08-02-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter (Post 6210445)
If there's a VA Hospital in your area, you could make wheelchair quilts. There are numerous groups -- Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, Marine Comfort Quilts, that are more than thankful to receive quilts.

Our DSIL is a doctor for a VA hospital, and from what I hear the quilts might not survive there either. Most really nice personal things are stolen by domestic staff. I have witnessed that in nursing homes too, but I don't have any solutions.