Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with your quilts when they are finished? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-quilts-when-they-finished-t16441.html)

k3n 02-12-2009 06:17 AM

In fact I have a baby quilt made and ready in which I used Sunbonnet Sue and Sam blocks that my mother pieced and appliqued before her death.
What a wonderful heirloom this will be! And how fantastic are you? 100 quilts, wow! :D

K x

Bevanger 02-12-2009 06:41 AM

i make for gifts. :D

sewjoyce 02-12-2009 07:06 AM

I have given away all of my quilts. Someday, I'll make one just for ME!!! (I am keeping a wall hanging though that I just finished hand quilting -- does that count as a quilt??? :roll: )

Barbm 02-12-2009 07:10 AM

I give away a lot- baby quilts for gifts, gifts to raffle for reunions and now, quilts to raffle for AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention) to raise funds for a local chapter. Family have some, alas, I do not!

But I find that's like the carpenter who's house is in disrepair, I won't have a quilt. My 2009 Project list includes a quilt for me. Now lets see if I get to that number on the list. :)

Oh, I also do Project Linus and was given a request from a local women's shelter for children for quilts for little ones- up to age 5. So off to the machine I go....

Barb

butterflywing 02-12-2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
My kids and grand daughter all have many quilts on their beds. I finally got a couple for my bed. I have a hard time giving them away. I am now getting ready to do one for my sister. SHHHHH. Don't tell her. It's a surprise. LOL

i don't blame you! very few people realize the work that goes into a quilt.
my kids have the most. i have ONE for the wall, some utility ones. blah.

i am also making a secret one for my sister's wall, Sister's Choice,

i have a lot of trouble giving them away to anyone but family.

2wheelwoman 02-12-2009 01:17 PM

I give almost all of mine away, to wounded soldier projects (via Soldier's Angels or Quilts of Valor), or through my guild to the local battered women's shelter. I made a quilt and wall-hanging for a nephew, and have a UFO (for several years now) of a Stack-n-Whack lap quilt that is for me - if I ever get around to finishing it. Someday I hope to make a really nice quilt for our CA-King Bed, but aren't ready to tackle it yet. I keep looking for the "perfect" pattern, and the "perfect" fabric (may have to redo the room to match the quilt, rather than trying to find fabric to coordinate with the rest of the room!).

Marcia 02-12-2009 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Define 'finished'. It's not in any quilting dictionary I have seen.

tim in san jose

:lol:

Marcia 02-12-2009 03:55 PM

I have given away a lot of the quilts that I have made, but most of them were for family members (sons, daughters, grands, in-laws, etc). Most of my quilts are utility and I make them to be used. It makes me feel good to go to my kids' homes and see my quilts thrown over the back of the sofa where they are snuggled under, or to see one of my granddaughters curled up in a chair looking at a book under her quilt. The only quilts I have kept for myself are seasonal wallhangings or round robin quilts that I made with friends. Most of those never get finished!

Bevsie 02-14-2009 05:38 AM

Hello,

Your someday going to make a quilt out of your father's clothing just touched me heart....memory quilts are fabulous and will be cherished for years, great idea. You can also add photos to quilts.

What do I do with my quilts when they are done? Well.....I have them on every bed in my house (I need more beds!) and I have seasonal ones I use in their season, I have two floor quilt racks with 2-3 on each, and have two wall quilt racks with a quilt or a seasonal wall hanging displayed. I have one on the back of my couch just sorta thrown (like on HGTV decorating shows!) and one draped on an old wooden chair for looks. I have some in the closet and have some at the lake place and some not done in my sewing room!
I give them to family and friends and as gifts. All my family have seasonal table runners and pillow wraps for the seasons.
I am over run with quilts and should give some away again...
I always say that if the furnace goes out up here in northern Minnesota we won't be cold....I have quilts!
I enjoy my quilts and use them all the time.

Bev

Quiltinsolitude 02-14-2009 06:48 AM

I became seriously addicted to quilting about 5 yrs ago . . .although I had pieced and tied quilts off and on for about 20 years . .. just a couple for the kids or myself. In the past 5 years though, I've made five or six quilts just for the house . . .the two bedrooms and one for the living room . . .I have also made and given each of my daughter's very close college friends a quilt - the colors were their favorites or the design tied in to their interests or nicknames or such. I gave one to my middle son and his wife. Now I have two more sons & dil's to make for, and it's time to start on the 11 grandchildren. I have deliberately delayed the grandkids to give them time to get old enough to have a twin-sized quilt that they can drag around the house with them. I really can't see putting all that work into a quilt that will not be a keeper forever or until worn-out for them.

Oh yes, I now keep a picture of each quilt - all by itself and if possible one with its new owner. And I don't just store them on the computer, because computers have been known to crash - they have their own little photo album LOL