Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you do with your scraps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-scraps-t217568.html)

Valerie Scherr 03-28-2013 05:26 AM

what do you do with your scraps?

I was wondering if any of the ladies that belong to guilds if they combine their scraps and make quilts or exchange scraps with their guild members. I was thinking that maybe if we combined our scraps we could make a few quilts for charities. Just wanted to know if any other guilds do this? I really hate to throw these scraps away I have 2 huge boxes .

maryb119 03-28-2013 05:31 AM

I put my scraps in a big tubby and use them for applique. I should make a scrappy quilt and get rid of some of them. i hate to waste fabric because it's so expensive so I keep most everything left over.

francie yuhas 03-28-2013 06:07 AM

I keep mine and am making scrappy quilts with them. Check out what Bonnie Hunter does with scraps,and you will be surprised what great quilts you can make from left overs,,,kind like eating chili the next day( tastes even better!)

caroloto 03-28-2013 06:17 AM

I give mine away to my friends from my guild and they love receiving those scraps. I used to keep them for paper piecing or small projects, but now just use fat quarters since I will admit I'm addicted to buying fat quarters!

" guilds if they combine their scraps and make quilts or exchange scraps with their guild members " I think that would be a good idea and may bring this up at our next meeting for a project starting next year!

ptquilts 03-28-2013 06:29 AM

Make scrappy quilts!! That is about ALL I make these days!

pumpkinpatchquilter 03-28-2013 06:37 AM

I have two big huge bins too and I make a lot of runners and mini-quilts to sell. Our guild makes charity quilts...and recently we started making practice blocks from whatever our program for that month was about and everyone donates the practice block...someone volunteers to make that into a quilt to donate.

pocoellie 03-28-2013 06:49 AM

I save every little scrap. LOL If the scrap is less than 1 1/2", I save it and all trimmings, batting included and make pet beds for the local Humane Society.

BellaBoo 03-28-2013 07:18 AM

I sew the bigger scraps together any way they will fit and then cut a shape using my Go. When my bin gets to overflowing I take it to guild and the members take what they want.

kateyb 03-28-2013 07:38 AM

One guild I belong to has a "donation" table. Those who want to get rid of scraps, magazines, etc. put them on the table and member can take what they want. There is a box for cash donations for those who take something and the money goes into the guild's general fund.
The other guild has a charity quilt committee and members donate their scraps to it.

Sarah in Brooklyn 03-28-2013 07:40 AM

oh wow, great idea! Can you tell me what kind of outside you use? I'd love to do that.

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 5960195)
I save every little scrap. LOL If the scrap is less than 1 1/2", I save it and all trimmings, batting included and make pet beds for the local Humane Society.