Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with your scraps when ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-scraps-when-t200821.html)

snipforfun 09-28-2012 06:07 PM

I ut mine in a basket and give them to a friend womweaves rugs with them. Too burdensome trying to decide what to do so I give them to someone that knows what to do. It is also part of her livelihood

gigigray032447 09-29-2012 01:45 AM

The only thing I cut is 2.5 strips if they are as least 20 inches long. I sort those by light/dark and leave them laying flat. The others I just store in small bins to use to random blocks.

teddysmom 09-29-2012 03:13 AM

I save my scraps but don't cut them. That way, I have a better chance of being able to use them later.

1rottendog 09-29-2012 03:57 AM

I cut mine into squares or strips as small as 1 1/2" and strips up to 4". Anything else I fold and stack on a shelf. Just finished 2 scrap quilts from this -- an "I Spy" and the same pattern with a dog print I had. I keep my cut scraps in plastic shoe boxes marked with sizes of pieces on a shelf so that I can see what's inside when I want to do a scrap quilt. My sewing room is small so I'm trying to get organized.

Just Me... 09-29-2012 04:04 AM

I don't cut--keep them in baskets by color--and use them in the next scrappy. I love scrappy, so it is an ever-evolving resource to pull from.

DOTTYMO 10-06-2012 11:29 PM

I hate scrappy quilts as I am definitely very symmetrical or I like paper piecing . I save my scraps in a bag use for paper piecing . I have a large group of friends at classes who love scrappy so periodically take the bag/bags to class and they help themselves.

Bluelady 10-06-2012 11:35 PM

I throw my scraps in a box and every so often, offer them to anyone willing to pay for the postage. I have so much fabric I will never run out, so no time to use the scraps up too!
I have SABLE. Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

asimplelife 10-07-2012 08:23 AM

Generally I collect scraps in a basket underneath my quilting table until it starts to overflow. Then I'll start pressing and cutting to clear the basket...

I love scrap quilts and all the patterns we have to choose from for 2.5" strips and 5" charm squares so those are my 1st choice to cut from my scraps. I cut 2.5" and 2" squares from small scraps and also cut 2" strips for scrappy log cabins. I love string blocks so most of my "wonky" sized strips so into a big bin. If I fall in love with a scrappy quilt pattern that uses different sizes I'll start a collection of those.

I store my 5" charms in Sterilite "Show-Off" totes by color and/or theme (xmas, CW, kids) and store my 2.5" strips folded in the flat Artbin storage units in the same manner. Other sizes go into my plastic drawer units in trays. I love being to able to easily pull what I need and be ready to start piecing (my fav part of quilting hands down!).

jcrow 10-07-2012 09:40 AM

I have my bigger pieces in drawers. The smaller ones I have in old doctor bags. I feel totally horrible, but I throw away small pieces. I just have so much fabric that I don't have room to store a lot of really small scraps and I probably should keep them as I do applique quite a bit. Now I feel bad after reading everyone's responses. But I'm talking really small pieces.

DixieLee 10-08-2012 05:32 AM

I have been quilting about 2 years and a put them all in a tub together uncut. Then if I need some small scraps I go through it first. I have been looking at some strip patterns and plan to go through the box and sort out the good stuff. If I finish a quilt and have some specific strips or squares or finished block of a certain size, I put them in a plastic bag with a label so I can go back to them.