Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with your uglies/unusables? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-uglies-unusables-t191800.html)

taimi 06-14-2012 07:23 PM

What do you do with your uglies/unusables?

We just bought a new house that is big enough for my very own girlcave. I had mentioned to one of the neighbors before we moved that I was looking forward to being able to quilt again, as a parting gift she gave me a HUGE box of fabrics she had gotten on clearance at one of the big box stores...I finally got around to washing it all up the past couple of days (good grief there are almost 50 yards) and wow...I see why some of it was on clearance. A lot of it is just plain ugly and there are several yards that are so cheaply made it resembles kleenex. It was a wonderful gesture and a much appreciated gift but I have no idea what to do with a lot of it because it is just such bad quality. The only solution I have thought of so far is to make some small blankets for our local animal shelter. It isn't like the dogs care if they are sleeping on quilt shop quality fabric. I am curious as to what some of you do with fabrics that you wouldn't use for anything because I would like to be able to use as much of this generous gift as I can, even if it is only for the shelter puppies to sleep on.

Peckish 06-14-2012 07:28 PM

I like your idea of making blankies for the dogs and cats. I think charity quilts for humans should not be shoddy qualilty; a stranger is as deserving as our family. But you're right, a doggie won't care what the fabric looks like.

Greenheron 06-14-2012 07:38 PM

In our area, woven rag rug makers use this type of material. Are there any where you live? Also toothbrush rugs or crocheted rugs.

Pilgrim 06-14-2012 08:28 PM

I've heard the saying,"If it is still ugly just keep cutting it smaller until it isn't ugly anymore." I'm sure the human society would love any donations.

donnalynett 06-14-2012 08:52 PM

Our quilt group only does donation quilts and other needed items. We have started making animal beds for the local animal shelter and with unusable fabric we use a rotary cutter and cut the fabric into small pieces no larger than 2x2". We then make a pillowcase and make three lengthwise seams and use the cut fabric to fill them. Then seam across the end and you have a nice pet bed.

nycbgirl 06-14-2012 08:59 PM

I use thin fabric for foundation piecing on string quilts. It gives some stability even if it's very thin.

Hulalulu 06-15-2012 12:29 AM

Google Marilyn Pipe handbags.....they are cute and ugly won't matter....another project anyone?

Maggiem 06-15-2012 03:03 AM

Like some of the above posters, I use the ugly and unusable stuff as filling for cat pillows. Rag rugs or braided rugs would be a good idea, too. Cleaning cloths and dusters would be a possiblility. I would definitely NOT use them for quilts.

DogHouseMom 06-15-2012 03:46 AM

Another option is the fabric bowls that folks have been making. Once you cut those strips then wind them around the cotton cording, the thin-ness and the ugly won't make a difference.

the only thing I worry about with dog bedding for shelters is that those are washed a LOT. the ugly fabric won't matter if it's decent quality, but the cheap/thin fabric will.

burchquilts 06-15-2012 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl (Post 5289946)
I use thin fabric for foundation piecing on string quilts. It gives some stability even if it's very thin.

I've done that, too. And to me, there's a different between "unusable" & "ugly". The "unusable" goes to Goodwill (the Goodwill here moves a ton of fabric of all kinds) & the ugly? Well, I usually just throw it in a box & hope that it either gets pretty or grows on me. Bonnie Hunt says to use your uglies in some of her scrap patterns. The pieces are evidently small enough you're not blinded by the ickiness... LOL! Seriously... sometimes don't you look at a piece of fabric you bought & think "What in the world was I thinking about?!?!". I've got some real dogs!