Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you have to the right of your sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-have-right-your-sewing-machine-t239682.html)

carrieg 01-26-2014 02:36 PM

I have about 3" to the right. I have my magnetic pin holder, my wooden skewer to guide fabric & pull the bobbin thread up, my snips to cut thread. I do have a plastic storage tower that fits underneath my sewing table & the top 2 drawers of that hold a lot. Those are about 3" deep & that is where I keep my machine feet, piecing thread, screwdriver, bobbins, etc.

Nice hubby you have!

quiltingcandy 01-26-2014 02:37 PM

I had to go look - but I have a book case next to my sewing machine table, on my machine table, I have a pair of scissors, the seam ripper and the TV remote. I have a pin cushion but it moves from place to place when I sew, Sometimes it's next to the machine, sometimes on the book case and sometimes on the plastic drawers to my right and a bit behind me - it just depends on what I am doing. What ever I drink goes on the book case or across the room on a little table - my machine sits into the machine table and I worry that my drink may spill.

momto5 01-26-2014 02:38 PM

I have a U-shaped Perfexxion cabinet....and it's loaded! My Janome 6600 is in the middle of the bottom of the U, and to the right is my 18X36" cutting mat, my GO resides there when she's in the mood to work; I also have my embroidery machine on the right and two other Vintage machines. There are drawers under the cabinets as well, and they have everything form soup to nuts in them. AND I NEED MORE ROOM!!!!!!!

ManiacQuilter2 01-26-2014 02:58 PM

I have only 3" on the right of my machine too and I have only room for my bobbins. TRY to get at least 5 or 6 inches so you could put some sort of holder of items to keep handy !!

Prism99 01-26-2014 03:33 PM

I'd love to have more space to the right of where I sit, on the same level as my machine cabinet. I would use it for my stacks of blocks that I am sewing together. If I could have my druthers, I'd have a U-shaped sewing area with tables to both my left and righ!

IrishgalfromNJ 01-26-2014 03:51 PM

I have a serger and another sewing machine. I use a 6' banquet folding table as a sewing table. I move the extra machines when I'm quilting to give me more space on the left hand side of the machine.

hopetoquilt 01-26-2014 03:56 PM

I wish I had somewhere to put things. I would like to keep a drink, different "feet," a seam ripper, brush to clean bobbin case, container for bobbins, and maybe a few other things. I also got a cheap plastic cookbook holder that I place my quilt patterns/books in as I am assembling a quilt. It would be nice to have space for that.

charsuewilson 01-26-2014 04:25 PM

Small box wiith pin cushion, scissors, seam ripper, and other sewing tools. There's not much space on the table. Then I have a tall chest of drawers with room for patterns, some scrap fabrics, interfacing, to the right of the table. To the left under the table, I have a nightstand sized chest with the sewing machine accessories, button box, bias tape, large spools of thread. I keep a smaller moveable chest on the table with zippers, safety pins, more bottoms and other fasteners, needles, ... If you're just building, I would leave a little more space on the right, maybe about the size of a file tray (a sheet of letter size paper), so stuff wouldn't fall off the table.

I have spindles for spools of thread and a bulletin board on the wall behind the machine.

Gannyrosie 01-26-2014 04:33 PM

To the right, not much space but enough to hold pins, extra bobbins, a bowl to hold seam ripper,etc. it is next to a wall which has a peg board with many clips for holding things, mostly my jewelry stuff. But I think we all pretty much need space only for necessities, any more than it would just collect stuff.

sewmom 01-26-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 6536356)
My sewng machine is on an L-shaped table with my serger on the right of me. Now in the elbow of the L is lots and lots of stuff.

That's what i have too! My DH finally updraded my computer so I can use the embroidery software for my Janome. Then he said the cord wasn't long enough so I should have one of his laptops with the program on it to direct link it. He said- you'll have to , um, clear some space for it. What was he talking about? LOL below the serger is a pullout shelf for a keyboard and that's where the laptop will go.
My space to the right is always packed with whatever i am using plus my remotes and dust. I clean it off every once in a while. Hehe
I have a rolling office cart with drawers for my other sewing stuff. It fits under the table so it's handy. My only complaint with it is the drawers don't pull all the way out so it's easier to get to the back of it.