Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you keep your fabric in? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-keep-your-fabric-t23690.html)

zyxquilts 08-04-2009 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of my fabric is in my "fabric shop" room, in IKEA bookcases with glass doors - here's a pic of 2 of the 3 bookcases:

There's one more on the other side of the room too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43114[/ATTACH]

patricej 08-04-2009 01:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i use stacked drawers from walmart. i get the 7-drawer sets. in this photo, the sets are stacked 2-high. (just remove the top from the bottom set, and the top set snaps into place.)

when i don't double-stack, they roll around wonderfully. if i double-stack and fill them, the wheels get all wonky so i have to leave them off.

the double-stacks are in my store-room. i have a few rolling single sets in my sewing area to hold the fabs and tools for current projects. since the drawers come all the way out, i can swap them out between the "current" stacks and the storage stacks so the unfinished projects don't haunt me while i'm working on something else.

Iluv2quilt 08-04-2009 01:31 AM

Wow!! You ladies have some fabric!! I'm still a newbie only been quilting for a year and a half, I have one bookshelf full of fabric and one big container of scraps. I want to go shopping in your sewing rooms!! Really well organized, just like a store. :D :D

Darlene 08-04-2009 03:09 AM

I have mine in a small roll about made for scrap booking, also in a box that held reams of paper. My stash is pretty small compared to some of yours.

ginnie6 08-04-2009 03:16 AM

yowza! I only have a small small amount of fabric. I have this neat little in the wall shelving unit dh built in my closet and that is where my pitiful stash is. If I had what some of you have we'd have to add on to the house.....or kick one of the kids out! lol!

peaceandjoy 08-04-2009 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of my stash is now in Clever Store bins made by Rubbermaid. I don't like the deep totes - too much digging needed, which makes a mess. These are a little over 6" deep - perfect for fat quarters or up to about 1 1/2 yds folded and stood on end. Sorted by color. They fit well in a closet, and even full are easy to pick up so that I can move them to get to the bins underneath.

I don't have a sewing room. Here's a pic of my cottons (flannel, batiks, homespuns elsewhere).

Deb watkins 08-04-2009 04:46 AM

I have most of my material in an computer armoire, the fleece and batting I keep in totes. I use those tall plastic 'dressers' on wheels that are 12-14" wide with 6 drawers (two different sizes) for projects, small squares that I made too many of, small pattern templates, scraps of batting.

Boston1954 08-04-2009 05:00 AM

Clear plastic boxes. So easy. no dust. And I can see what is in there.

feline fanatic 08-04-2009 07:04 AM

I keep most of mine in a dresser. You can pick them up cheap at auctions and thrift stores. I got a dresser at an auction for $25.

FF

SuzyM 08-04-2009 07:11 AM

Clear plastic tubs. At one point in time my fabric was all sorted and organized. I guess I should go through and do it again since I inherited all of my mother's fabric when she passed away.