Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you know about this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-know-about-machine-t194325.html)

Daisydoodle 07-11-2012 12:09 PM

What do you know about this machine?

My daughter wants to get a new machine, she is on a limited income. She is looking at the Brother SQ9050 that sells for around $200.00. I down loaded the specs, reads well but that doesn't tell me about the quirky actions of this machine. Any one ever had one or used this machine? I am a Janome user so Brother seems off to me. Anxious for your input, she has just started quilting and is using her old Kenmore (10+ yrs. old) and is a college student. Thanks!!

Tashana 07-11-2012 12:24 PM

I swear by Singer because I have been using it my entire life. My mother made wonders on 1892 singer (I know it is really old and it still works perfectly), but unfortunately nobody makes them that sturdy any more. If you are not sure, go to Amazon.com and read other people's reviews. Also, I would check Craiglist in your area. You never know! People are often upgrading to newer and better models so you can get real deals.

Dingle 07-11-2012 12:33 PM

I have the SQ-9000. It's basically the same machine. I love my machine. I haven't had any problems with it. Have had it close to 2 years. I really like the start, stop button. I'm so use to not using a foot pedal anymore. Comes with all feet you will need. Very user friendly. There are many more board members who use this machine. I did buy a Brother 1500 to do the quilting. I needed something with a bigger throat space, but my 9000 is great for piecing and quilting small items. HTH

calla 07-11-2012 12:37 PM

I would use the old Kenmore, and have the $200.00 as a start for a new machine.............there is a reason that new machines can be $2,000.00 and above................stitch quality, features like needle up/down, feet that come with the machine. Perhaps a model with some features that was a trade in? Purchasing from a dealer who you can trust..........just my opinion..............calla

SharonTX 07-11-2012 12:40 PM

I have the SQ 9050 and LOVE it! Never had a problem with it. The accessories included with it, you can't beat. :)

sassey 07-11-2012 12:41 PM

I have that machine got it at a gaeage sale to use as backup but like it so much I use it all the time with no trouble

Sewnoma 07-11-2012 12:42 PM

I have a Brother CS6000i (I think that's what the model is) and it's a pretty good machine. Not sure how it compares to this model but my biggest complaint about it is that it's so light it scoots away from me constantly as I sew!! Otherwise I think it's a decent machine for the price (I bought it for about $150 on Amazon). Lots of stitches, lots of feet, and no troubles with it missing stitches or being a "thread diva". I DID, however, realize that there's no way to lube or really maintain this machine so I don't think it'll be something I'll still be sewing on in 20 years. But it was so cheap, I guess that's okay.

Arleners 07-11-2012 01:58 PM

I have a similar model - A project Runway portable. I have been very happy with it. I take this one to class because it is light. It has needle positioning, up/down, auto thread, etc. It doesn't cut the thread, while my big, home Brother machine, does. I will live.

I think Brother is a great brand, At the present time this brand is tops for people on a budget.

Havplenty 07-11-2012 02:01 PM

i have a brother cs6000i and it quit on me within 1 yr. yes it is very light and scoots around when sewing with it but it just locked up one day, came to a grinding stop. i took the whole machine a part to see if i could see anything wrong. nothing so it is something within the computerized system. i called a brother repairman and his response was that it would be cheaper to buy a new machine than to try to get this one fixed. so it sits in a corner. perhaps i pushed it too hard. the electronic machines do not need to be oiled as they are ran be computer brains and are made mostly of plastic.

daisy is your daughter finding something wrong with the old kenmore she is sewing on or does she just want to have a machine with all the fancy stitches? many of us are finding great stitch qualities with these 'older' machines. they have metal internals and can take a lot of use. i am piecing with my vintage singer now and it does a great tight stitch. i have a 25 yr old babylock sewing machine that i use also. when i get a newer fancy machine, it will be something substantial with support and a warranty. no more cheap sewing machines for me.

i would say help your daughter purchase the best machine that she can afford right now. you can also check dealers and lqs's to see what machines they have taken on trade in or display models that are up for sale. and you can also check your local craigslist for some great bargains. check online reviews for any of the machines you are considering to get some perspective. do your research and spend your $200.00 wisely.

Dingle 07-11-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5356812)
I have a Brother CS6000i (I think that's what the model is) and it's a pretty good machine. Not sure how it compares to this model but my biggest complaint about it is that it's so light it scoots away from me constantly as I sew!! Otherwise I think it's a decent machine for the price (I bought it for about $150 on Amazon). Lots of stitches, lots of feet, and no troubles with it missing stitches or being a "thread diva". I DID, however, realize that there's no way to lube or really maintain this machine so I don't think it'll be something I'll still be sewing on in 20 years. But it was so cheap, I guess that's okay.

Put a piece of that none skid shelf liner under your machine. Before I had a table to set my machine down in I was using my dining room table and cut a piece just a little bigger then my machine and worked fine. No more walking across the table.