Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you like about your Quilting Guild/Group/Co-Op? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-like-about-your-quilting-guild-group-co-op-t245605.html)

tropit 04-22-2014 01:51 PM

What do you like about your Quilting Guild/Group/Co-Op?

What are some of your favorite features and perks to belonging to a guild, a co-op, or just a casual sewing group?

Thanks, Cindy

ckcowl 04-22-2014 01:55 PM

having 'friends' to show your projects to is wonderful, also, having a group to look at a 'problem' and help you 'problem solve' really comes in handy sometimes. being able to see what others are working on, help them, bounce ideas around- work on 'group projects', inspiration, motivation, - the opportunities ( with a guild) to have authors, designers, teachers visit & participate in workshops- the list goes on & on. I love my sewing group and guild!

Doggramma 04-22-2014 02:08 PM

I like the show and tell the best. Also the gals at the "quilt club" (it's not a guild, just a group of about 30 people that meet at a LQS) always have something positive to say about anything that is brought to the club for show and tell.

I had a bad (IMHO) experience at a guild where no one acknowledged me or barely spoke to me in almost a year. Very cliquey. I've been meaning to try another one, but am still reluctant at this point. Not too long ago others recommended getting involved when you join as a way to worm your way into the group. So....that's the strategy for next time!

tropit 04-22-2014 02:29 PM

I think that the classes are a big plus to belonging to a guild. The guild that I used to belong to had shows, instructors, charity functions, retreats, etc., as well as providing for some great socializing. (I had to quit...it was just too far of a drive for me.) However, it did not act as a co-operative, but I know that some do. I'm curious how that works out for some members. Does anyone out there belong to a quilting co-op?

~ Cindy

Terri D. 04-22-2014 03:17 PM

Our group is attended by eight to 10 quilters once a month, scheduled for the same date and time all the time so everyone can remember when we meet.

I like the fact that there are no positions you feel pressured to volunteer for like secretary or treasurer. As mom to a busy high school teenager, I'm already doing plenty of volunteering and don't want to add any more to my plate at this point.

We meet at the home of one of our group members to sew, visit and share. Having four to six hours of girlfriend/quilting time once a month is perfect. It's the simplest of all get-togethers and works for all involved.

Onebyone 04-22-2014 04:14 PM

I like my sewing group more then the guild. My guild has turned into one big business meeting. The new president wants to take it back the way it was 25 years ago when her mother was one of the founding members. Dull and boring. My sewing group meets and we just sew, talk, eat, sew, and swap ahd don't care one whit about business because we don't have any.

AliKat 04-22-2014 04:40 PM

I like that the group/guild encourages me to interact with other quilters and stretch myself. I know I have to be outgoing because others might not be so inclined. OK, you can call it stubborn, I can respect a person's right to keep to themselves but I want to encourage us all to be more interactive. I know it sounds ''pushy' but I mean to gently encourage.

Peckish 04-22-2014 04:54 PM

I belong to a non-guild group. Here are the pros:

No bosses. We are all equal and there is no single person in charge.
No business
No requirements (such as holding office, being on committees, X number of hours/quilts for charity, etc.)

GEMRM 04-22-2014 06:09 PM

I just joined the local guild - so far I'm enjoying it. I did know some people who are members before I joined. (But I have to confess I am not a "joiner")

zennia 04-23-2014 02:21 AM

I belong to a group that meets twice a month. Along with all the thing mentioned above it inspires me to get sewing. My group met yesterday. I cam home and finished a wallhanging that I was putting off because it was set on point. Came home and did the math and now it is finished
Lunch and friendship is amazing.