Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you like Fabric Sizing or Spray Starch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-like-fabric-sizing-spray-starch-t44605.html)

craftybear 05-01-2010 09:41 PM

What do you like fabric sizing (Best Press by Mary Ellens) or spray starch?

Thanks for all of the comments and will enjoy reading this thread. We all learn from each other. What a wonderful quilting board site we have!!

Happy Quilting!

Craftybear

Lisa 05-01-2010 09:42 PM

I like fabric sizing the best, it doesn't leave the residue that starch does.

amma 05-01-2010 10:04 PM

I like spray starch, when I am cutting bias pieces, I want them good and stiff :D:D:D

memathomas 05-01-2010 10:29 PM

i agree with amma also i like to spray starch the top so it won't pucker when i quilt it also starch the back for same reason.

memathomas

ConnieF 05-02-2010 01:31 AM

ok Crafty as I said earlier. Starch you sould wait till it soaks inbefore you iron, ad it does mess up the iron.
I prefer fabris sizings or clear fregrant miracle starch by
Mary Ellen's Best Press.
You can get just plain or with a scent. I love the Lavendar.
this makes ironig easier, smells wonerful, no flaking, even on dark fabrics, non-clogging, acid- free, leaves no residue, relaxes stubborn wrinkles, gives a crisp, new finish, and make the fabris soil-resistant. Can I say more???
www.maryellenproducts.com
Connie

ConnieF 05-02-2010 01:33 AM

oh I forgot to say if you want it stiffer just do a second time...some starches I have used have been awfull on my iron and ironing board cover till I got my fiberglass cover... reflects heat and makes it easier to press things...

lisalovesquilting 05-02-2010 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
ok Crafty as I said earlier. Starch you sould wait till it soaks inbefore you iron, ad it does mess up the iron.
I prefer fabris sizings or clear fregrant miracle starch by
Mary Ellen's Best Press.
You can get just plain or with a scent. I love the Lavendar.
this makes ironig easier, smells wonerful, no flaking, even on dark fabrics, non-clogging, acid- free, leaves no residue, relaxes stubborn wrinkles, gives a crisp, new finish, and make the fabris soil-resistant. Can I say more???
www.maryellenproducts.com
Connie

What she said.

ckcowl 05-02-2010 03:17 AM

both. depends on what i'm doing both have their place. starch when i want it stiff, sizing when it just needs a little more body, but i don't need the extra ...
i do not use starch on Batik's, they press beautifully with water (i also never put water in my iron, i keep a spray bottle of water on the end of the ironing board, with the starch and sizing)
but if i'm pressing, cutting a looser weave (like homespuns) i will usually need starch.
i use sizing on Silks, other delicate fabrics, ones i don't want a starch to build up on.
it's just a matter of preference, and what your encountering at the time.

Oklahoma Suzie 05-02-2010 05:08 AM

I like sizing.

sewingladydi 05-02-2010 12:15 PM

Starch, 'cause I make my own. Way cheap.