Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you look for in a Quilt Guild? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-look-quilt-guild-t279632.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 06-17-2016 05:05 AM

I think friendliness is an important part of a guild, no matter the size. The first guild I joined was lovely and they had a great leader who was funny. We could take a class after the short meeting and there was always show and tell. The ladies were very friendly and kind. Then I went to a guild that was very large and they wanted me to join at the door but I told then I wanted to visit first. There was no friendliness at all. A woman came and sat by me for about 10 minutes until her friends arrived and then she left me there, no introductions to her friends at all. I sat by some women during the meeting who made fun of another woman. I finally got up and left and never went back. I did join another guild that had just started but it was too long a drive for me with my sciatic issues. Friendliness to me is the most important thing. If they aren't friendly, leave.

Watson 06-17-2016 05:16 AM

I've just joined a guild for the first time and some of the things that are important so far are that everyone is friendly (check), they offer numerous classes throughout the year (check) they offer lots of opportunity to get involved (Still trying to see where I fit in there) they have a vigorous outreach programme within the community for charity quilts and other items that everyone takes part in (check) and they do a Show and Tell at every meeting (Haven't got up the nerve yet, but I will.)
So far it's been a good experience and I've enjoyed the speakers and local quilt shops that they have had come in. I haven't noticed any "cliques", but who knows?
I plan to offer my help with the upcoming quilt show and investigate another committee that may need help. I think that's how you really come to know whether a guild or group is for you...by becoming involved.

Watson

Jennifer23 06-17-2016 01:04 PM

I joined a guild a couple years ago as a way to meet people when I moved for school. The main thing I was looking for was a friendly, welcoming environment, which I got in abundance. Other things that I hadn't thought to look for, but that I really enjoyed, included:
- members with a variety of skill levels. There were people with less and more experience than me, so I never felt intimidated, and there were people I could help as well, so I felt useful.
- regular learning workshops, and free sewing times
- a charity component, where I could donate my time and improve my skills using provided fabric, and knowing that my work was going to a good cause.
- a well-stocked library - I spent quite a few hours just looking through books, and learned a lot!

I've since finished school and moved back home, but I really miss my guild. There is a sewing/quilting group here, but it just doesn't fit in with my work schedule, so I sew by myself. I'm still a member of my guild, though, so I get the newsletter, and my dues help keep them going. I try to go to a meeting once a year, but it's 1500+ km each way, so not an easy task!

ILoveToQuilt 06-17-2016 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7578356)
1. Friendly
2. Offer workshops, classes, and retreats and expect members to pay for them not have fundraising all year long to pay for those that don't pay for anything.
3. Emphasis on Show and Tell

Also want to add "non-political"...don't quite know how to explain this, but some guilds are run by the "quilt police" and things have to be done their way only.

I LOVE the guild I belong to! Great group of people, lots of programs, lots of charity quilts made, retreats, trips, etc. Would love it if they had a category for "lifetime" membership!

wendiq 06-17-2016 02:31 PM

I once joined a Guild.....one that had a stellar reputation, but try as I might, I just could not fit into any of the cliques. Everyone was nice and there were lots of workshops that I participated in. I did everything I was expected to do and more...but still felt like an outsider.....so....after a year, I dropped out and I don't think anyone cared....at least, I didn't hear from anyone......I'm a lone quilter too.....do make quilts now for charities with what I have stashed.

giquilt 06-17-2016 03:31 PM

you are lucky to have choices. I get involved in guilds by the areas of quilting I enjoy. Appliqué, sample quilts, quilts that go to a specific Charity. I learned years ago if you go to a meeting or party as a new person, look for a wallflower. They are feeling uncomfortable too. Ask them what type of quilting they like and the rest will take care of itself.
I am splitting my time between two states. So I joined a guild in each state. One has 120 members of which 80-90 attend in a day meeting 10-20 in an evening meeting. Days have a mix of national and local teachers. Evenings are all projects taught be members. There may be what some would call clicks, but it is because some have been members/friends for almost 40 years. There are small groups inside the larger guild, but you must get involved to meet new people.
The 2nd guild I have just joined. Has about 60 members 30 are very active. They have two sewing days every week so it is easy to meet a few members. One person has really taken me under her wing. It takes a friend to be a friend.

Claire123 06-17-2016 03:52 PM

I really don't. It needs to be in a reasonable driving distance and have a lot to offer. I am happy with my guild, but am in several other quilting groups.

cashs_mom 06-17-2016 04:59 PM

If you have the time, join more than one! I'm going to be checking out a quilt guild next month and wouldn't rule out joining more than one even though until I retire my time is a bit limited.

I also don't like groups that "require" certain participation. I was part of a wearable arts group back in the day that "required" that you did their challenge every year. I don't particularly like challenges and don't want to spend my limit sewing time doing them and eventually quit because of that.

cathyvv 06-17-2016 05:36 PM

You nailed it! As far as cliques go, the two guilds I belong to have groups that hang out together, but it's ok to wander to a different group and socialize. One guild is small, and I enjoy that one because it's more relaxed, more a social outing where people do what they want while visiting.

The other group is larger, more goal oriented, offers classes and speakers and so on. It was overwhelming to walk in and not know anyone. But eventually I made friends and eased into the guild activities. As for the political stuff, just be nice to everyone and ignore the bs that some people thrive on. Much easier said than done, I know.

DonnaPBradshaw 06-17-2016 08:47 PM

I've attended two guilds: Both I really liked but have not been involved with either one for a long time. I've become too busy playing pickleball! I still quilt but on my own time!