Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you prefer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-prefer-t91660.html)

kathidahl 01-18-2011 12:15 PM

I am wondering what kind of ironing board and ironing board cover you all like. I need to replace the one on my regular ironing board and wonder if I should
just make one with a piece of my stash- I've done that many times in the past -
or buy a ready made one with my Joanne or Hancock coupon - I've done that in the past -
or use my coupon to buy a couple yards of cover fabric and make one - never done that.
Wish I had room for an ironing square right next to my machines, but I don't.

JulieM 01-18-2011 12:17 PM

I wash mine. Most of the time they are stiff enough to stand on their own.
:thumbup:

Sadiemae 01-18-2011 12:18 PM

I don't have room for the large ironing surfaces people are making either. I do have the large ironing board from Costco and I love it. I usually keep something extra on top of my board that I can throw in the washer, so I don't replace my cover.

mom-6 01-18-2011 12:46 PM

My mom always used an old mattress pad for the padding and a piece of an old sheet for the cover. Worked great and easily replacable.

Mine's about due for change out as well.

kellen46 01-18-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I am wondering what kind of ironing board and ironing board cover you all like. I need to replace the one on my regular ironing board and wonder if I should
just make one with a piece of my stash- I've done that many times in the past -
or buy a ready made one with my Joanne or Hancock coupon - I've done that in the past -
or use my coupon to buy a couple yards of cover fabric and make one - never done that.
Wish I had room for an ironing square right next to my machines, but I don't.

For my ironing board I have a small table I picked up at Staples years ago. It is just the right size of rectangle and is adjustable up or down. Now I have to recover this every few years or so as the fabric gets rotten with the repeated heating and steam. I sometimes use a heavier weight cotton drapery material and it works fine. This time I went and got some of the light weight silver asbestos fabric used in pot holders from the fabric store. I just cover the old with the new and use a staple gun to hold it all together. It is the best ironing board I have ever had. I hated that tapered point thing. I doubt you can find the same table, I have never seen another but maybe some thing that would be similar. As long as you lay down an initial layer of reflective batting you can go on forever recovering the top without worry. Just use cotton or the asbestos fabric, never use synthetics or blends and you should be OK.

AnnieH 01-18-2011 12:56 PM

I just made a cover from my stash and it cheers me up every time I catch sight of it-so sad!

Rosyhf 01-18-2011 12:57 PM

I washed the orginal until it couldn't take it anymore lol. Then I took it off and used it as a pattern to make one out of the silver stuff, you know the one for hot stuff, I forget the name right now.

I love it. I used extra batting, a couple of layers or three.

Gal 01-18-2011 02:29 PM

I make my own ironing board covers, I use the 100% cotton curtain fabric in white or cream, the one that has a thermal lining back to it, I sew sheeting elastic around the edge to keep it on and cotton tapes to help keep it from moving. My covers last for years!

Gal

CarrieAnne 01-18-2011 02:31 PM

Great idea. I really need a new one!

lisalovesquilting 01-18-2011 02:32 PM

I get mine at Walmart.