Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you take to do at retreats? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-take-do-retreats-t282888.html)

orangeroom 10-11-2016 05:02 AM

Oh! I almost forgot...I also brought my adjustable computer chair that I always use! Someone suggested it prior to the retreat and then I got many odd looks when I did actually bring my chair. But I'm so very happy with it! I'll bring it every where I can when sewing!

romanojg 10-11-2016 05:17 AM

I guess that depends on the retreat. Last year all of the classes were all inclusive. I did bring my emb scissors mainly because I've had so many classes where they didn't have good ones. This year, same company, different types of classes are available. Thur and Sat classes are garment making, for those I had to buy my fabric and thread to match. We get our patterns there, so I will just bring fabric, thread, my own scissors, seam ripper, the usual. On Friday's class I'm making a purse and its all included so I'll just bring my scissors and seam ripper. I check into the hotel on Wed and can do some shopping and catch up with friends. We also have the opportunity to get our patterns and cut them out the night before each class so that we can utilize the class time more in making the pattern. Even though it wouldn't take that long to drive each year I stay at the hotel and enjoy the whole thing. I'd rather save that 30 min to and from to enjoy myself. Plus they added some free digitizing classes in the evening for those who wanted. Yes, I wanted them. I never ignore a chance to learn. Have a great time at your retreat. Mine is this week and then I took an extra week off so I'm excited.

dc989 10-11-2016 06:05 AM

Since I am easily distracted I take several basic, easy projects. I precut because I don't want to cut wrong and have too little fabric. A while back I started making up a sample block right a way. If I come back to a project later I know exactly what fabrics went where and so on. The retreat I attend is kind of crowded, so I try to consolidate my stuff and make sure it's labeled. If space is not an issue I like to take a small iron and ironing surface. I hate jumping up and down then waiting for my turn to press.

Donnamarie 10-18-2016 06:02 AM

I like to go prepared and ready to sew. If you are following a pattern it is great to have it all cut (more time to sew). Bring lots of different projects. I sometimes think I'm going to work on a project and then change my mind when I'm there. I do bring UFO's in hope that at least one of them will be finished. I love quilt retreats and go on them 3 times a year. Its great to sew, hang, chat, read, relax, whatever, all weekend. No cooking, no dishes, no laundry, just sew and enjoy people with the same interests. Everybody teaches, everybody learns.

Claire123 09-04-2018 10:38 PM

I haven't really been to that many retreats, but 2-3 projects would be the most.

Maggie_Sue 09-05-2018 07:06 AM

I have never had the opportunity to attend a retreat, but so enjoyed all of your comments. So if I get the opportunity I will be ready!!!

Snooze2978 09-05-2018 10:25 AM

I decide what projects I want to work on,cut as much as I can, making mini kits for each of the blocks in that particular quilt. I may take a couple different quilts to work on but maybe only parts of that quilt. I try to take one I know I can finish while I'm there and a couple more I can just work on sections of them.

cashs_mom 09-05-2018 11:04 AM

Orcas Island! That brings back memories. In high school, my friend's family summered on Orcas Island every year. I always wanted to go. I've never been to a quilting retreat only a couple sewing ones where there were a lot of classes. I'd love to go to one when I'm finally retired.