Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-converting-living-room-sewing-room-t104605.html)

alderdweller 03-03-2011 09:02 AM

Mine is open to the front door too (which we also never use).
I don't have people come there often enough to worry about it though.
The other thing is that I've lived long enough that I don't care...lol
I figure it's my house, hubby doesn't care...and that's all that matters!

cmw0829 03-03-2011 09:57 AM

You guys are funny. Thanks for the encouragement.

Bellaboo, what a great idea!!

Diannia 03-03-2011 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My quilting room is the former formal living room and I love it! The only downside is that this is the 1st room you see as you walk into the house. I do try to keep it picked up so it's not too bad. Here are a couple of pics...it's not completely finished yet.

Diannia

Storage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169193[/ATTACH]

My quilting room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169194[/ATTACH]

pocoellie 03-03-2011 10:14 AM

Sounds like a winner to me.

jljack 03-03-2011 10:41 AM

My close friend is a professional long armer, and her living room is now her quilting studio. She and hubby and daughter only use the family room, and she ran out of room in the small bedroom she was using for her sewing room. That room is now her fabric storage and cutting room, and her domestic machine is also in there.

Another guild member I know uses her dining room for her long arm studio. They have an open floor plan, and she has a large eat-in kitchen, so didn't need two dining tables.

mamaw 03-03-2011 10:41 AM

Hurry and move in there before he changes his mind lol.

Sadiemae 03-03-2011 11:31 AM

Since my husband passed, I use the living room for sewing.

texas granny 03-03-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
This was DH's idea. The largest and sunniest room in our house is the living room. We've lived in the house for 19 years and have rarely used it. We don't entertain a lot but when we do, we use the family room since it's more inviting - we've very casual people.

So, he suggested that I move my sewing stuff there so I can have another sewing table with my new machine and a separate cutting station. Right now, I'm using a corner of an upstairs bedroom that is also shared by a computer and TV with two recliners (the kid's man-cave when he's home from college). Can't leave anything out - what a pain!

Has anybody else done this? How did it affect your home?

Thanks. :)

I would go for it if I had a seperate livingroom space.
I have through about moving my dewingroom into the master bedroom since its larger then the sewing room.

happymrs 03-03-2011 11:52 AM

Great idea since you have a living room too! Why not put that large space to good use, & with DH's approval too! Enjoy!...

kyleewonder 03-03-2011 11:56 AM

I would jump on it in a heartbeat, our house is so tiny, just a two bedroom so I have my sewing area in the living room anyway, but obviously I just have a small area, have fun with yours!!