Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-converting-living-room-sewing-room-t104605.html)

chaskaquilter 03-04-2011 05:30 AM

I would go for it. Sounds like a great idea. Sometimes we just have to kick "that's not the way it's done" out the door and go with what is good for us. Have fun.

Janj 03-04-2011 05:35 AM

I would say go for it! If it is bright and really not needed be thankful for DH who suggested this... I myself feel fortunate to have own sewing room and still a spare bedroom.... Have fun!!

SherryLea 03-04-2011 05:36 AM

I am a true believer that your home is for you to live ina and a place to go and enjoy life. So if using your living room for your sewing room is what you want to do . Go for it!!! Your home is your castle and you are the queen. You can do whatever you want.JMHO

#1piecemaker 03-04-2011 05:39 AM

I'm planning on doing just that. Our house is large and we have what I call a formal living room. We hang out in the den. I have my piano and key board in there but when I get my longarm, I'm thinking that is where it is going. So, go for it.

pamesue 03-04-2011 05:41 AM

go for it...I am thinking about doing the same thing

LindaR 03-04-2011 05:58 AM

my DH would say, "You might as well" your all over the house anyway....stuff in every room

JHolm 03-04-2011 06:02 AM

I converted our living room to our sewing room. My DH & I are just like you. We never used the LR, we always use the family room so with both of us quilting it just made sense to use the biggest room in the house. I suppose if we were ever to sell the house we would have to convert it back to a LR for showing purposes but we have no intention of selling. We figured it was our house and we would live in it in a way that was most convienent for us. The only thing that I do try to do is keep it organized because it is the first thing you see when you come into the house. When I used our spare bedroom I wasn't quite so neat. I say go for it!

Tinabodina 03-04-2011 06:06 AM

I would if I had a separate family room. We only have a great room so I can't.

Amanda from South Texas 03-04-2011 06:18 AM

This is too funny! I live alone and 2 days ago, I thought "Wait a minute! This is MY house!! If I want my sewing area in my living area so be it!!" So yesterday, that is exactly what I did! Happy as a clam :)

grannypat7925 03-04-2011 06:23 AM

I have been considering the same thing so that I have a place year round that is convenient. I have a nice big converted Florida room but it is too cold to be out there in winter as it is not well insulated and has no heat vents. Therefore I can't sew as much as I would like during cold weather. I bring 2 machines inside and set up a card table for my cutting board but it is very inconvenient. We too, rarely use the living room for the same reason as you. My hubby is also the one who suggested it. I think it will work!