Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-most-controversial-subject-quilting-t154247.html)

Sadiemae 09-22-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut

Originally Posted by hannajo
Losing "regular" status.

(This is a fun thread!)

How do we lose "regular" status? I am constantly reading the "Threads"..... don't get much quilting done, but I sure have a great time :thumbup:

If you do not have 20 posts in each 2 week period you will lose your 'regular' status.

Katy 09-22-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad
I just thought of one no one has mentioned

Tear vs cut at the fabric store

Another we will have to agree to disagree.

In my 15 years or more in California quilt/fabric stores there has been no tearing. I saw it done when I was younger and have been in sewing groups where there were ladies who did.

Katy 09-22-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jacque
Oh, my goodness but I love that 20 rule!!

I believe it was first attributed to Eleanor Burns and she may have said 10 mile rule but she is likely more accurate than I. All my students learn it right away.

Katy 09-23-2011 12:18 AM

You are welcome. I am glad you don't think I was just starting trouble as that was not my idea at all. Just was curious what others thought and I must air some came up I never thought of myself. I am able to voice my opinion but I do not start arguments.

Originally Posted by SmickChick
I believe that the most controversial subject in quilting is rarely discussed- only when it is right before your eyes. The most controversial subject is "subject matter."The quilting world (the audience, not the show judges) is slow to welcome artistic quilts which feature subjects akin to the drawings of DaVinci or Michelangelo. Now, they do/have/will win, as exemplified by this link:

http://www.randallcookstudios.com/IRemain.html

however, if I were a gambling chick, I'd put my $$$ on butterflies, flowers, stars, cats, and such; way before nudes, especially nude males, or even modern art-type quilts.

p.s. I love this type of discussion, with lots of varied opinions!!
Thanks for starting this thread!

SEW 09-23-2011 12:57 AM

to cut fabric or tear it...

Sienna's GiGi 09-23-2011 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
Probably the biggest controversial subject I've seen on here ( several times ) has been when the subject of a pattern for a concealed carry purse pattern comes up. It usually starts the big debate over guns. Sad the subject at hand can't just be answered without the BIG debate. :XD:
I know you said not political, religious, or moral, but this seems to be the biggest I've seen on here.

Now, I've seen some on here debate the quality they see or feel about different fabrics and thread alot also.
I know, why did I even post on this subject, I don't know myself. :oops:

I'm interested in a conceal and carry pattern. Do you know of any?

Margo in Maine 09-23-2011 03:55 AM

I have only had one store tear...a wide back and just about came undone...do not like it....she said just wash and it would be straight....a funny thing the first quilt someone help me make...she tore the strips...I was new so did not know anything,..I tried making straight seams on torn material...ugh!!! that cured me...never!!!

Margo in Maine 09-23-2011 03:56 AM

just google it.

Tinabodina 09-23-2011 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi

Originally Posted by Country1
Probably the biggest controversial subject I've seen on here ( several times ) has been when the subject of a pattern for a concealed carry purse pattern comes up. It usually starts the big debate over guns. Sad the subject at hand can't just be answered without the BIG debate. :XD:
I know you said not political, religious, or moral, but this seems to be the biggest I've seen on here.

Now, I've seen some on here debate the quality they see or feel about different fabrics and thread alot also.
I know, why did I even post on this subject, I don't know myself. :oops:

I'm interested in a conceal and carry pattern. Do you know of any?

Me too! I would like a pattern.

Katy 09-23-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tinabug
I do think this is a big can of worms!! Now the fun begins :-)

Ahhhhhh.....spoken like a true Californian! I knew I recognized something in your tone !! Ha ha