Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-t52829.html)

Alu_Rathbone 07-04-2010 01:22 PM

My aunts friend has commisioned me to make her a quilt. I'm going to use the Illinois Block, only way enlarged, to make the quilt.

The cost of the materials, 5 fabrics, thread, and batting come to 107.37. It is all from Connecting Threads.

the quilt is 80"x80".

I'm charging her 150.00

Is this too much or too little?

I am taking her money situation as well...

sharon b 07-04-2010 01:26 PM

How long will it take you to make it ? How are you planning on finishing it ( quilting wise) ? Does the pricing you have include the backing ?

Alu_Rathbone 07-04-2010 01:40 PM

Yes the backing is included. I figured 5 and half yards would be enough since the fabric is 45" wide.

I'll be binding it, and probably tieing it off. I'll see if thats okay with her first though. If I did quilt it, I'd have to find some one with a long arm, who doesn't charge a lot, which is hard now a days.

She wants it by next month... I know that it will probably take me a week or two to get it done... Unless I have to find someone to bind it.

Kathy N 07-04-2010 01:47 PM

I think you should get more for your time and talents. Maybe $200.00

ktbb 07-04-2010 01:48 PM

a pricing policy that I was given a couple of years ago for custom quilts was $15 per finished square foot. That includes cost of material, labor, quilting, etc. If customer provides the fabric, pattern, etc, you make it a little lower. If the quilting or piecing is really complex, you can price it a little higher. If you calculate your size of 80 X 80, that comes out to about 44.4 square feet multiplied by $15/sq ft that comes to about $666 for the whole thing. From that figure, you alter the price as you see fit. Hope that helps.
=

JanetM 07-04-2010 02:19 PM

I think the pattern you have chosen would be a good one for stitching in the ditch. You could do that and save the expense of a longarm quilter.

Maride 07-04-2010 02:20 PM

Are you charging $150.00 apart from the materials? I would charge at least $500 for your time and talent. You will regret making this for so little money. If you calculate how much you are getting paid per hour, it will come down to pennies. Your time is worth much more than that.

sahm4605 07-04-2010 02:25 PM

i would go with 200 at least also. especially if you sid yourself. If you go with total price of materials and time I would make it maybe 250 or something. it just depends on why you are making it for her and her situation. you should do what feels right.

Alu_Rathbone 07-04-2010 02:29 PM

She asked me to make it. I told her that she would pay for the materials, cause I don't have that much to go with to begin with, and that she would pay me for my time. She said fine. she gets disability and ss.

Thing is, I could really use that 50 dollars right now... Should I ask her to give me a down payment of 50 and then she can worry about the last hundred later?

sharon b 07-04-2010 03:05 PM

So she is paying for all the fabric and then paying you $150.00 on top of that ?