Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-t82669.html)

CatSpring MawMaw 12-13-2010 08:05 PM

I've been on this board for a while and love it. I look more than I post and love all of your pics and info. I would like your opinions on the Viking Topaz. I'm looking at this machine as I want to have one with some embroidery. Looks like it will also handle quilting and just plain sewing. (My DH said I could get one!) If you have any other suggestions on a machine with a little embroidery, quilting and sewing, let me know. Thanks!

scowlkat 12-13-2010 08:19 PM

Am sure it is a fine machine. Also check out Babylock and Janome just to be sure. A lot depends on having a good dealer.

CatSpring MawMaw 12-14-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Am sure it is a fine machine. Also check out Babylock and Janome just to be sure. A lot depends on having a good dealer.

I've had Singers most of my life and once I had a Montgomery Wards machine. I now have a Viking Scandinavia, a very simple basic machine. I see that alot of you have Janomes. Must be a good machine. My Viking dealer is very good and I can do a trade up with the one I have. I did recently purchase a simple Babylock and really like it. (Can you have too many machines?) Thanks for the tip. Will check them out.

fancifrock 12-14-2010 12:44 PM

I just loved my Viking but had to recently give it up (after 30 years). Looked into Janome and Viking and decided on the Janome because of price. I really do love it and almost don't miss my good old Viking!!!!!!

Momof3Es 12-14-2010 12:47 PM

I have yet to hear anybody say that they have too many machines so I don't think it's really possible.

MadQuilter 12-14-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Momof3Es
I have yet to hear anybody say that they have too many machines so I don't think it's really possible.

I have 4 and that is one too many. Planning to sell one but haven't gotten around to it yet.

As for the original question, have you checked the reviews on patternreview.com? Not sure if there are any but worth a look. I bought a Babylock Espire this year and absolutely love that machine. Have you checked the Babylock line at all?

grann of 6 12-14-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by CatSpring MawMaw
I've been on this board for a while and love it. I look more than I post and love all of your pics and info. I would like your opinions on the Viking Topaz. I'm looking at this machine as I want to have one with some embroidery. Looks like it will also handle quilting and just plain sewing. (My DH said I could get one!) If you have any other suggestions on a machine with a little embroidery, quilting and sewing, let me know. Thanks!

I have the Topaz 30 and just love it. It is my "Kitchen Stitchin" sewing machine right now. I also have the Diamond and it is simply awesome, but pricey. I like the wide throat area both machines have, and with the Topaz you can use the memory stick to download from your computer. I use the "Send" a lot. I have arthritis in my hands and like that everything is buttons.

Rntraveler 12-14-2010 02:41 PM

I have had Babylock's to sew and embroider on as well as a serger... but I take a Janone with me on the road. I am a travel nurse and take my toys with me. I have two small machines that are just great..not heavy and work horses.. would be great for classes if you are into that..

p38flygirl 12-14-2010 02:48 PM

I have bernina and brother..The brother is a sewing and embroidery machine...I love to embroider and quilt...

MommaDorian 12-14-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by p38flygirl
I have bernina and brother..The brother is a sewing and embroidery machine...I love to embroider and quilt...

Which Brother do you have?