Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think is a traditional quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-traditional-quilt-t269532.html)

woody 09-02-2015 02:08 PM

What do you think is a traditional quilt?

I need to make a quilt that looks traditional. Now I'm more of a bright, batik, paper piecing kind of girl so I am struggling with this. I have looked at antique quilts on the internet but there isn't one pattern that really screams traditional to me.

So what do you think immediately looks traditional? What colours, maybe a red and white or more subdued colours? What blocks? Should I do a sampler quilt, or just one type of block?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kassaundra 09-02-2015 02:26 PM

What is the quilt going to be used for? (more like who I guess actually). Traditional I think of calico fabrics, no bright whites, older "known" patterns. But I am sooooooo not traditional either, so may be a case of "the blind leading the blind" lol

Bree123 09-02-2015 02:30 PM

There are many different options for a "traditional" quilt. If you are referring to applique, I almost always immediately think of a Baltimore Album.

As far as others, it depends what era you're thinking of -- 1930's, 1920's, Civil War, primitive, etc. In general, quilts from those eras used dyes that were neither as bright (luminous) nor intense (pure) of a hue & typically the fabrics were not color-fast and would fade with time, exposure to sunlight & washing. Picking duller colors will typically help & picking an off-white rather than a pure white (same for black) will also lend a more authentic nod to the past. There are quilt shops that specialize in patterns, kits & fabrics from particular eras. If you're able to narrow it down for us as to whether you mean appliqued or pieced & how intricate of piecing you mean, that would help.

Currently, I'm working on an Irish Chain/Sunbonnet Sue with 1930's repro fabrics. Both the Irish Chain & Sun Bonnet Sue patterns originated in the 30's, and the repro fabrics work perfectly with the pattern.

Here are some ideas from an LQS by me that specializes in traditional quilts & fabrics:
http://www.piecefulgathering.com/shop/Kits.htm

woody 09-02-2015 02:38 PM

Thanks for your replies

I don't have to be specific to one era, I was just after something that looks like it was made a long time ago, and I would prefer no applique mainly because of time that will take. Any kind of piecing is fine. Thanks for the tip on the white fabric.

k_jupiter 09-02-2015 02:46 PM

You might try a red and white Double or Triple Irish Chain. Complicated enough to keep you interested and antiquee enough when you are finished to look like old time. Don't use bright white solids, but an off white to give it that vintage looks.
tim in san jose

Annaquilts 09-02-2015 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by woody (Post 7304932)
Thanks for your replies

I don't have to be specific to one era, I was just after something that looks like it was made a long time ago, and I would prefer no applique mainly because of time that will take. Any kind of piecing is fine. Thanks for the tip on the white fabric.

Have you considered looking at amish quilts made with solids and pieced in a traditional pattern. Maybe you'd enjoy that since solids is also very modern again.

googled antique amish quilts
/www.google.com/search?q=amish+quilts&biw=1164&bih=817&source=lnms &tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI3pWlxLjZxwIVit CACh2ErQlE&dpr=1.1#tbm=isch&q=antique+amish+quilts

dunster 09-02-2015 02:54 PM

Scrappy log cabin. That's traditional for sure.

DresiArnaz 09-02-2015 03:09 PM

Nine patch pieced and quilted by hand.

(I read way too much Little House on the Prairie as a child...)

petthefabric 09-02-2015 03:36 PM

Hole in the Barn Door, aka Monkey wrench. Earth tones, plaids. Off grain. Scrappy. Cotton or wool batting with plenty of shrinkage. Quilted 1/4" from all seam lines.

joe'smom 09-02-2015 03:56 PM

A traditional quilt to me indicates small pieces arranged to create a geometric pattern. I think scrappy also gives a more old-fashioned look to a quilt. The Civil War fabrics, as they're called -- those rich, subdued shades in smaller prints -- give an instant historic look to a quilt. There are a number of designers that specialize; Jo Morton and Marcus fabrics are two that come to mind.