Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of your Grace frame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-your-grace-frame-t187173.html)

Gayle8675309 04-25-2012 03:36 PM

What do you think of your Grace frame?

Hi. I have a chance to buy a wood king sized Grace frame for $500. From what I've seen online at the new king sized ones, this is a pretty good deal. But I know nothing about quilting frames. This is a machine quilting frame, I'd have to get another sewing machine to use with it.

So I wanted opinions from anyone who knows about or owns a Grace frame. Do you like them? Are they easy to learn?

Thanks! :)

xsquilter 04-25-2012 05:10 PM

Hi there Gayle. I was lucky enough to purchase the GMQ frame for $650 here in Canada. Used but in pristine condition. On line I found it sells for about $1200 not including shipping! I have it all set up & have put my older Kenmore machine on it. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to play! I had a bit of trouble with my machine so this weekend I plan to try my newer Janome. I'm not sorry at all that I bought it, I know once I get going it will be great. I do know at this point I wish my machines had a bigger throat but like I said, I've not had enough time to work it. I wish I could help you more but maybe after this weekend I can add some info!
I didn't have to set up all the parts of the frame, just the larger pieces, so I wasn't stressed about putting it together once we got it home.
Maureen

1000projects 04-25-2012 06:08 PM

Going from fmq on machine to fmq on frame was a huge step for me. It gives me more time for FUN, less time for basting or spray ashesive. Grace makes a good frame and parts are available. Go for it!!

butterfly48 04-25-2012 06:38 PM

I like my grace frame . The alumin poles are week in center if you have it to king size. I use mine all the time with a paff 9"throat machine. That is a good price for it.

Gayle8675309 04-25-2012 07:14 PM

Thank you ladies! :)

crideout 04-26-2012 05:57 AM

The price sounds good for the Grace Frame. I have the GMQ and Janome 1600DB set up for king size. I needed an inexpensive way to find out if I really wanted to quilt on a frame. I was intimated by it at first. However, once I got it up and running, I found I really enjoyed frame quilting. After getting past the learning curve I found it easy to use. I also wish I had a larger throat machine. Now that I feel comfortable frame quilting, I'm saving my money to buy a 18" sewing machine to put on the frame. If you decide to purchase the frame, you might want to also purchase the carriage upgrade.

Gramie bj 04-26-2012 12:48 PM

I have a wooden grace frame that I use with my Tin Lizzie, have had it over a year and really enjoy it. If you have a problem with it or questions just call the company, they are great and easy to work with. I think that is a good price. I got mine new when I bought my LA. so have never used a Dom machine on mine but don't know why it wouldn't work.

Rose L 04-26-2012 01:27 PM

I have an Original GMQ and paid $500 for it about four years ago. I have a 17" machine on mine and have about 14" of quiltable space by removing the center bar and floating the quilt top over the belly bar. With a domestic machine you'll have about 4" of quiltable space. Makes it tough but it can be done. I would also strongly suggest you buy the carriage upgrade. It is so much better than the wooden carriage!!!

lucylockett 08-05-2012 06:30 PM

Rose, that's encouraging. I didn't think the aluminum upgrade would work on my original wooden gmq. Help!