Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use for the back of your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-back-your-quilts-t311415.html)

lizzie3 06-19-2020 04:27 AM

Oh this is a good point! I usually just stitch in the ditch so a busy print will help hide things more!

lizzie3 06-19-2020 04:30 AM

Last night before work I stopped by the fabric store just to look and found a bunch of clearance cotton fabric for $5 a metre, which is really cheap here. I compared it to the cotton sheeting I purchased and the quality was much better, although not great quality by any means. But the quality is good enough for me! I bought enough for two quilts, but I'm going to go back today and buy enough for 3 more quilts and toss it in my stash

Watson 06-19-2020 04:38 AM

If you're shopping at Fabricland, you must be in Canada. At my local FL, they currently are discontinuing their Heritage Cotton series which was their quilter's cotton solids. They were $20.00/m and are going for $8.00/m and they have a lot of colours available. You'll need to piece it but it's a good quality for a backing. Either way, I would wash and dry it first, personally. Be sure to look for the Heritage cottons, as they have a number of lines for sale at $8.00/m.

I have also gone to Valu Village and bought 100% cotton sheets for the backs of charity quilts and they have always turned out well, but if this is special, I'd go the way I mentioned above.

Watson
PS...Save the cotton sheeting...you never know if one day you'll want to make a string quilt or something and need a foundation fabric or a backing for a charity quilt.

ckcowl 06-19-2020 04:53 AM

I use wide backing fabric about 99% of the time.it is quilting cotton and comes in a vast array of colors, textures and prints. Most of mine come from fabric dot com, quilting twins (which has a bunch of new ones on their site) and Backside quilting.

the sheeting you purchased just needs to be prewashed- the stiffness is due to the sizing added. It will feel and look much better once it is washed and dried. When I get a fabric like that I usually add a cup of white vinegar to the wash which not only freshens but also softens the fabric

lizzie3 06-19-2020 05:07 AM

Yup I saw those too! I almost bought some and then the $5 rack caught my eye. I'll make sure to check out the $8 one again, they were better quality and not much more

lizzie3 06-19-2020 05:07 AM

Okay, since so many have said it I will try washing and drying the fabric and see if that changes my opinion!

petthefabric 06-19-2020 03:16 PM

Another thought. If the quilt is a wall hanging, the priority is that it will hange without stretching. So a good quality is necessary.

If it's a throw or for the bed, the back will show so it matches/compliments the front.

Onebyone 06-19-2020 04:31 PM

I buy the prettiest wide backing that goes with the quilt top. I think the back of the quilt is as important as the front. For utility quilts I use pieced together left over fabric to make a design, not to look just pieced together to fit. I rarely use plain color backings. I want really pretty fabric for my backing. To me using something for backing that is not a pretty design on it's own is not honoring my work.