Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Do You Use For A Cutting Table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-cutting-table-t308644.html)

abc123xyz 12-16-2019 10:56 AM

What Do You Use For A Cutting Table?

I have my sewing machine in the same room where I also have my computer, a davenport, and a small desk. I would like to set up some type of cutting table in the same room so that all my sewing mess will stay within that room and not get scattered all over the house. At the present time I am using my kitchen table. How large a table should I purchase? I am looking at folding tables that I could take down if I wished but wondering if they might be a bit narrow to use for that purpose. I am also wondering about purchasing a table with adjustable height. Some tables can be adjusted to counter height but would they be wobbly when extended to that height? I will use the table only for cutting and pressing with my table top ironing board. My sewing machine will remain in it's cabinet. Do any of you have something that works great for you? What are the dimensions of the area you use? All comments appreciated.

feline fanatic 12-16-2019 11:09 AM

I would steer away from any folding tables. There have been numerous accounts here that a members cuts were always bowed or off and the reason was because the surface of their cutting table was bowing in the center as they exerted pressure on the table during cutting with a rotary cutter. All of these accounts were the same, they were using a fold up table.

Other members have solved this issue by laying a solid wood door across the fold up table. My DH made my cutting table. Rather than table height, it is kitchen counter height so much better for cutting. It is made of a scrap of kitchen counter material that he built legs for so it fits right in the little nook I have in my sewing room for cutting. It is exactly big enough and tall enough to accommodate 4 large storage bins underneath. so no wasted space.

Others have suggested IKEA units or getting their hands on some recycled kitchen cabinets and counter top to make a cutting table out of. And the really lucky ones have a Martelli table that is adjustable in both height and angle.

Edited to add my table is big enough that my 24" x 36" cutting mat fits it with a few inches on all sides. I also have a large table lamp on the table and several bags of leaders/enders scraps. I have my pegboard mounted right over it where I keep all my rulers, cutters, some scissors and other misc. items suitable for hanging on a pegboard.

Iceblossom 12-16-2019 11:45 AM

I have never seen a good folding table for use as a cutting table. It is possible, I suppose, that you get a high end office table that is technically portable that could work. But the type you get at Costco even? Not stable enough in my opinion. And certainly not the type of one that you can get a tent to fit over it to amuse the kids. For something new, affordable and possible you might look at computer workstation desks that require assembly. Check them out for flimsy-ness in person.

I'd be looking for a piece of furniture the right size with good lines but probably a bad finish at the thrift store. Some times there is a lovely piece of maple or something under that bad paint job and stickers... and even if not a quick and dirty refinish on the legs on a piece with good lines can be just fine, and you want something about the size the extra large mats cover and/or don't want to have to worry about the top surface anyway.

Personally, the best height for me to cut at is standing and dining room table height. I have another friend who vastly improved her cutting by standing at kitchen counter height. In a multi-use room, I'd consider building in a counter the height you like or with storage underneath or maybe standard counter height for part and desk height/open underneath for part.

I have a tolerant hubby and I've deliberately spread out my sewing so I get more steps in during the day. I also used to do all of one set at a time, so if that was 200, so ("sew") be it. Now I do groups more like 20-24 at a time, get up and iron in the living room, cut in the dining room, go back to the back bedroom where I layout stuff on the bed (house too small for a design wall), and then back to the sewing room. It may not seem like much but its actually made a huge difference in my previous more sedentary life style.

QuiltnNan 12-16-2019 12:04 PM

I used to use a laminated surface over two dressers. Once I started using my kitchen island, it being the right height for me, there was no turning back.

Tartan 12-16-2019 12:23 PM

I have a portable kitchen island with drawers. It has locking wheels, is a nice height and my 18X23 cutting mat covers most of the top. The added benefit is I can cut from all 4 sides by walking around it.

betthequilter 12-16-2019 01:02 PM

I have my mother's wooden kitchen table in my sewing room. I have a large cutting mat on it. Obviously, it is quite sturdy and I can store "stuff" under the table. Always need room for "stuff".

Maresan 12-16-2019 02:34 PM

My husband made me two tables that meet at the edges in an L shape and I love them in my sewing room. But I also use the kitchen farm table when needed.

Jingle 12-16-2019 03:23 PM

I use a table that a sewing machine sits on it doesn't have any room around it. We put a piece of plywood on it and my 24 x 36" cutting mat sits on top of that with an 1" around it. I put bed risers under the legs to make it tall enough for me.

hobbykat1955 12-16-2019 03:27 PM

I have two Joann's Drop Leaf cutting tables...I have the cutting mats that go w/it and also bought the ironing cover for one so I can now use as an ironing bd. My most recent purchase of one a few wks ago was on sale for 99.00 and the mat for 39.

mic-pa 12-16-2019 03:54 PM

I bought my table yrs ago and the legs to fold up on it but it is very solid. Something like tables used in a cafeteria and I bought risers to put under the legs to make it tall enough to cut on. Staples would have that kind of table.