Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use to fill a Pincushion? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-fill-pincushion-t235342.html)

QuiltE 11-23-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 6420829)
A lot of people on the board that make pin cushions for exchanges don't use them as a pin cushion, rather a collectors item. for those I stuff with poly fil. it gives the pin cushion a nice look. But then again, most are used as eye candy. I put my pins in a box, all my cushions are for the shelf only.

see what the recipient is using it as.

BINGO! ... my pin cushions are magnets! :)
(or a dish/tray)

bbmom1989 11-23-2013 03:44 PM

I use fine sand. It works well and will mold around things it is need it to.

mem 11-23-2013 04:10 PM

I like a reasonably heavy pin cushion so wouldn't use fiberfill, etc. I can't remember if I used walnut shells or lizard litter; both were recommended when I was taking a class...whatever it was came from the pet store.

Since then I've heard that silica gel (used for drying flowers) is good in pincushions. Have the stuff, but haven't used it yet.

A friend bought play sand at Lowe's and used it in her pin cushion...the kind that attaches to a scrap holder that sits beside your machine and hangs down in front of your table. That pin cushion needed to be reasonably heavy; she just used regular quilting-type cotton fabric.

Good luck!

RainyBC 11-23-2013 04:14 PM

I have sand in my pin cushion and it's great - so far. I like the weight and have an attached bag for thread etc. I just used a piece of muslin for the inner bag filled with sand and then covered in a pretty fabric to match the thread bag.

Dina 11-23-2013 04:16 PM

I use sand. I have never had a problem with sand "leaking" out, but I think doubling the fabric would solve that problem. I used playground sand. Maybe it has bigger grains of sand??

Dina

coopah 11-23-2013 04:26 PM

I bought some sand (think it was called emery sand) at a hardware store that folks add to paint so it isn't slippery. I thought it would be great as it kept the pins/needles sharp and had a good weight. However the sand tends to leave dust wherever it's placed. I could have used two layers of fabric, except these were small and would have been hard to turn. So I have no idea of the best thing to use.

Silly Sally 11-23-2013 04:31 PM

I use crushed walnut shells. You get it at the pet store. It's called Lizzard Litter, found in the snake department. Supposed to keep your needles sharp. I found out about it on this site. Hopr this helps. Also, some people use a piece of steel wool..

IAmCatOwned 11-23-2013 05:16 PM

I use either tightly packed polyfill or emery sand. Some of the old pincushions from 30s and 40s were packed tightly with either cotton or wool.

jquilt214 11-23-2013 06:11 PM

I use ground walnut shells that can be purchased in the pet stores. I have found they are popular ansd the pet stores sell out fast when they get a supply. Like them the best. Keep pins sharp.

lockesnest 11-23-2013 06:17 PM

I use emery. That is what will keep your pins and needles smooth and sharp. It can be purchased online. I can't remember which site. I have made many of them. I might have gotten it from the Bunny Hill website, but not sure anymore.