Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use to mark your quilting pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-mark-your-quilting-pattern-t268226.html)

yngldy 08-01-2015 07:51 AM

I use the Crayola markers on most of my quilts, and it works well. IMHO it is the best way to go.

On my last quilt I used the chalkwheel to mark as I was doing grid work, but noticed that my walking foot got very dirty with the dust. Made me wonder if the dust was getting into the foot and if there was any way to blow the dust out. Or does it matter? Hope it didn't mess up the walking foot

quiltingbuddy: I tried the Glad wrap but had marker problems. What kind of marker do you use? I used the washable markers and they beaded. The permanent marker marked but left a few marks after it was stitched into the fabric. I put the wrap on the design, marked it, then placed on quilt. It was dry by then, and I did smooth the wrap onto the fabric without marks on my hands afterwards. Thinking maybe the heat from the needle??

I just bought a package of 3 Frixion pens for $2.50. $4 (Office Depot) and I had a $1.50 coupon, but afraid to use directly on a quilt as the line comes back depending on temp. Don't want to freak someone out that gets one as a gift. Many on this board swear by them. There are other uses for them which is why I bought them, and the price. But I plan on testing them on some fabric.

The best thing to do is pick something and test on sample fabric. See what works best for you.

Onebyone 08-01-2015 12:46 PM

Pounce marking pen or pad or Frixion pens. Both iron off. Crayola Ultra Clean Washable markers are good if you plan on washing the quilt when finished. Frixion may show up in freezing temps if the quilt isn't washed first but I don't care enough about that to not use them.

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-02-2015 03:50 AM

I get the felt tipped Frixion pens from Amazon (the multi-color 12 pack in Japanese lettering). They are easy to use on quilt after its sandwiched . . .but if using before, doesn't create a drag on fabric the way the ball pont Frixions do. Then, when done, simply iron it off. It doesn't return when exposed to cold as long as it's put thru the wash.

On darks, I use the white chalk loaded in a Pounce.

Dollyo 08-02-2015 03:56 AM

I also use the Crayola markers and Golden Threads Quilting paper (available 12" & 18").

quiltingbuddy 08-02-2015 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dollyo (Post 7274404)
I also use the Crayola markers and Golden Threads Quilting paper (available 12" & 18").

Golden threads quilting paper. Never heard of this. Guess I'll have to look it up.

yngldy: I did use a permanent marker but it probably would have been a Pigma pen. They mark very lightly and I've never had a problem with the markers leaving ink behind. Hmmn, good to know (and sorry this happened to you - that's a big bummer!).

Becky's Crafts 08-03-2015 07:06 AM

If you're afraid of marks becoming permanent, why not draw on a piece of paper and sew through it like paper piecing? That's what I do if I want a design I'm not sure I can make as neatly as I picture it! When you're done, just peel the paper away and no marks remain. :-)

Claire123 08-04-2015 10:12 PM

I am amazed at the variety here.