Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use for rag quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-rag-quilts-t104088.html)

merry 03-01-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I use the polyester batting and with the X sewn in the middle the batting stays in place just fine :thumbup:

Me too :thumbup:

lynnsim 03-01-2011 04:14 PM

That's why I don't add batting most times. We live in southeast Texas, where winter is about two weeks long, lol.

PJisChaos 03-01-2011 04:42 PM

I have made a few of these as well and all but one I used leftover batting scraps from other projects, making sure each square of batting was similar to others in content and loft. Sew an X across each square to keep it in place. Although on one I did, for my DGS, I quilted a different design on each square that mimic-ed the fabric. Some had stars, some hearts, some were cross-hatched, etc,..
Looked really neat when done. Can't wait to get a few WIPs done so I can make another one that has different quilted motifs in each square like his.

gmaybee 03-01-2011 04:53 PM

I've used Warm and Natural in the middle then sew an X so it doesn't shift.

craftinggrandma 03-01-2011 05:49 PM

I also use the rag snips. Worth there weight in gold

craftinggrandma 03-01-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by lynnsim
That's why I don't add batting most times. We live in southeast Texas, where winter is about two weeks long, lol.

I could handle that kind of winter. Lol

craftinggrandma 03-01-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I have made a few of these as well and all but one I used leftover batting scraps from other projects, making sure each square of batting was similar to others in content and loft. Sew an X across each square to keep it in place. Although on one I did, for my DGS, I quilted a different design on each square that mimic-ed the fabric. Some had stars, some hearts, some were cross-hatched, etc,..
Looked really neat when done. Can't wait to get a few WIPs done so I can make another one that has different quilted motifs in each square like his.

That sounds like a very pretty quilt. Will have to try that when u use the batting and sew the X do u have to sew the batting at the seams also just wondering if it shows when clipped

PJisChaos 03-01-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma

Originally Posted by PJisChaos

That sounds like a very pretty quilt. Will have to try that when u use the batting and sew the X do u have to sew the batting at the seams also just wondering if it shows when clipped

Yeah it will show if ya don't trim the batting smaller than the squares. Like I use 6" top and backing sq. with a 4" to 5" batting scrap, depending on the seam allowance I'm using(anywhere from a .5" to 1" seam). I also mark in water soluble pen on the top sq. the seam allowance I'm using and quilt only inside it. Looks really neat and interesting instead of just using a big ole X all the time. LoL
*Edited to add*
Also, I have not trimmed accurately before and if it's not too much batting showing I don't worry about it. If it's more than an 1/8 showing past the seam lines I just use a colored Sharpie that somewhat matches the fabrics used and color it to "hide" it. No one notices and it still comes out just fine. ;-)

HummerGardenCrafts 03-01-2011 08:03 PM

I use batting with flannel on the back. And do the X.