Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you want to do with your stuff? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-want-do-your-stuff-t103330.html)

shequilts 02-26-2011 03:02 PM

I did my second favorite thing today, I went to yard sales. Perhaps I guess I should correct that and say yard sale. I passed a small freshly painted sign this morning in an older area where I don’t usually see many sales. Since I’m always looking for new places and new faces I followed the route and arrived at a tidy little house at the end of the street. There were cars everywhere. A sign on the garage said simply “Estate Sale.” I could hardly wait to rummage around for what I knew would be treasures.

I couldn’t believe my eyes as I entered the garage. It was a complete quilt studio. There were rows of fabrics on bolts, books and patterns in huge storage bins, an entire tub of thread . There was a Horn cutting table and a Horn sewing table to match. The cutting table had a 6 foot cutting mat to fit. Ott lights were at the machine, beside a rocker, and at every table. An entire wall was covered by peg board and hooks held rulers, new scissors in packages, new needles, smaller cutting mats and every imaginable notion sewing notion. Everything was for sale!

People were grabbing bolts of fabric and arms full of everything they could hold, while struggling to grab more. A large sign on a table said, “make us an offer.” A lady next to me said, “they’re giving this stuff away.”

I picked up some rulers and scissors and a few other small items. One of the sellers was nearby so I asked about the Horn tables, he said, “no one has asked about those. What do you think they’re worth?” I responded by saying, “I know what they’re worth and I probably can’t afford them.” He quickly said, “How about $75.00 for the both of them”. Two ladies nearby overheard and shouted, “I’ll take them.” He said to me, I offered them to you first, do you want them? Of course I did!

Not believing my good fortune, I had to ask the man why everything was being sold so cheaply.
He responded, “My Mother just passed away. She loved to fool with this stuff but I only have brothers and we have no use for any of it. She made a lot of things and gave them all away. All of her friends are gone now, so we just want to get rid of it.”

On the way home, I thought long about this lady. She and I had a lot in common, we both had a sanctuary for our treasures and like her I make and give away a lot of my work. I’ve collected and organized, sewn and gifted, just as she had, I can’t imagine my “things” being offered “just to get rid of it.”

Most of us (at least those of us with a few years on us) have already prepared a will to help dispose of our most treasured possessions. Somehow, I never gave much thought to the thousands of dollars I have tied up in my hobby. Multiple machines, fabrics and supplies, all the accoutrements of my sewing room that make it comfy, would account for a large sum of money. What a shame for it to be sold for pennies on the dollar.

I decided that I will add an addendum to my will stating who I want to have my bounty. If my DD doesn’t need or want it, I’ll have a long list to offer it to. Who do you want to have yours?

frugalfabrics 02-26-2011 03:07 PM

My daughter gets it all. She has a passion for sewing and quilting (thankfully) and has already said she would put it to good use...so that's easy for me.

Jingle 02-26-2011 03:14 PM

My oldest Daughter is a quilt maker also, 2 Granddaughters and Granddaughter in law don't sew and have no interest in learning. Daughter has plenty of fabrics, etc., we don't have the same taste as to colors. I've told her to see about giving it to a quilt group.

IrelandDragonQuilting 02-26-2011 03:35 PM

This post definitely put me to thinking! I have all sons, and no grandbabies yet. I don't have a lot, but would like to think someone would value the items I do have, as I do now. Kind of a sad story, but at least her tables went to someone who will value them as I am sure she did!

ptquilts 02-26-2011 03:37 PM

My sister (executor) knows to give it all to the local quilt guild. Now if only she outlives me..
If anyone throws anything out I will come back and haunt them!!

cheryl rearick 02-26-2011 03:46 PM

This is something I have thought about. no one in my entire family quilts. Although daughter just recently asked me about teaching her. My granddaughter has a flair for color all of her own. I am hoping she may get interested. Daughter real desire is to start a foundation in memory of her son who passed 10 years ago. She is finally stepping out a little in this area so I do not think quilting will be her things. Outside of granddaughter :( However when I'm gone if I could bring as much happiness to someone in a sell as you received in your horn table then glory be, let it make someone who doesn't have and really enjoys quilting have. :)

BellaBoo 02-26-2011 03:57 PM

If all goes as planned. LOL. I will distribute when the time comes when I know I have to downsize as I age. If not going as planned then my DDs can do what is most convenient for them with it. DH is clueless and will be clueless. I don't see how it matters where it goes, I won't know anything about it anyway.

emerald46 02-26-2011 04:08 PM

It all goes to local quilt guild.

Jan in VA 02-26-2011 04:08 PM

Already planned....a "wake" here in my studio with dearest close quilty friends, wine, edibles, jokes, and ribald stories about our doings over the years. They are to take what they want, after my DD who sews has her pick, only if they get into the joyful mood of the event. Leftovers go to the guild.

I look forward to "being" there! :-D

Jan in VA

Alex J 02-26-2011 04:09 PM

My Granddaughter will get all my goodies, she loves to design, sew. So she gets it all, for my three girls can careless.