Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you wish you had known about your current machine before buying? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-wish-you-had-known-about-your-current-machine-before-buying-t300904.html)

stitch678 11-18-2018 05:56 AM

Lindaschipper, that you don't use all the features on your Janome MC6500 is likely premature! I have enjoyed mine for over 10 yr., a true workhorse. Never a problem. I started off using it in my drapery sewing shop ( mostly straight stitch and zigzag), then, after retirement , brought it home to use. When grandbabies were born, l made outfits, using those lovely stretch stitch features. When l decided to learn fmq quilting , l discovered it did that beautifully! Then, when l drifted into doing art quilts, found that the huge array of dec. stitches served me well as l embellished my work. No, l seldom use those " quilting stitches", but recenrly use one on a very narrow border...and discovered it looked so pretty...like embroidered ribbon! So, over the years, you WILL likely grow into your machine...and, fwy, the only plastic is parts of the housing...vertually everything inside is metal.

newbee3 11-18-2018 08:48 AM

I do not have a lot of money invested in my machines either more than you but not near as much as most of my friends that quilt. I have a topaz for embroidery and quilt designer for sewing and a nustyle for longarm total under 5 thousand

Onebyone 11-18-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 (Post 8161784)
My 15000 has the same set up and I couldn't figure out why my thread was breaking all the time. Discovered it was getting caught on that little cutter next to the bobbin. I put a piece of blue painters tape (all I had at the time) on the blade and have not had a broken thread since.

I have the Brother 1500 and I can't find the thread cutter on mine where you say you have one. Either I never use, never knew it was there, or it's missing. LOL

sewbizgirl 11-18-2018 09:38 AM

The only thing I don't like about my Juki2010Q is the way you have to get into the bobbin area to clean it. It takes unscrewing screws! They can fall and be lost, or get stripped out for how often you need to clean a bobbin area. To me, this is poor design.

My old Bernina 830 record had the needleplate just pop off when you press a switch, so I wasn't used to so much effort to get in and clean the feed dog area... especially on a late model machine. If you don't keep the lint out of there, the Juki sews with bad tension.

Never have been able to work the auto threader, either, but I don't really need to. I can thread a needle.

patricej 11-18-2018 10:57 AM

I own two Brothers.
one was moderately priced for the features.
the other cost a fortune.

neither one will sew over lumpy seams.
i have to force it through. :mad:
i looked in the manuals.
they recommend a specific foot (which is useless for 1/4" seams) and the most ridiculous series of steps you can imagine.

so, if i'm going to work on a project in which several seams meet in the middle, i have to haul out my janome.
am very glad now i didn't sell it when i "upgraded." lol?

PamelaOry 11-18-2018 12:08 PM

My brother dream machine struggles over lumpy seams, that’s why I chose a juki as my second machine.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8163415)
I own two Brothers.
one was moderately priced for the features.
the other cost a fortune.

neither one will sew over lumpy seams.
i have to force it through. :mad:
i looked in the manuals.
they recommend a specific foot (which is useless for 1/4" seams) and the most ridiculous series of steps you can imagine.

so, if i'm going to work on a project in which several seams meet in the middle, i have to haul out my janome.
am very glad now i didn't sell it when i "upgraded." lol?

Jaiade 11-18-2018 05:14 PM

Oh my! I can't believe I forgot about the feeddogs, Sewbizgirl mentioned. Talk about a pain!!! This is definitely a poor design for a machine that requires the base plate to be removed so often. And then the screws are hard to reach, especially the one behind the needle. And the light is not good.
I wonder why it is so hard for designers to find what works and incorporate it into the next model. What is that quote about if it isn't broke, don't fix it. They seem to forget about what works best when adding features. I also have (old)machines that you just push a button and the plate pops up.
WOW! Now that I look back, I have a lot of complaints about this machine. But, I love how it sews!!! And the speed!!! I can piece a quilt much faster than before. I have not touched my other machines since I got this one.

JJBlaine 11-18-2018 09:36 PM

Even though my Eversewn Hero is not outrageously expensive, I vacillated for months before buying what, for me, is a major expense. I wish I had known how much happier and more productive I would be once I had a machine where I didn't have to stop and untangle thread nests or re-thread my machine every 5 minutes. I would have bought it so much sooner!

Daylesewblessed 11-19-2018 06:28 PM