Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What does "individual consumption" mean? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-does-individual-consumption-mean-t292506.html)

themadpatter 11-11-2017 10:45 AM

What does "individual consumption" mean?

“Fabric Traditions® ©1995 Copyright N.T.T. Inc. #2234©Susan Winget 1994 – This pattern is licensed by Susan Winget. This pattern is for individual consumption only. Any unauthorized use of this fabric is prohibited and illegal.” all printed on one selvedge.

Anyone know what they mean by this?

Jeanne S 11-11-2017 11:05 AM

For the personal use of the buyer, not for commercial resale purposes.

bearisgray 11-11-2017 11:36 AM

Jeanne S is correct.

Forgive me - but this is what came to my mind -

Only for individuals with tuberculosis - no one else can use it.

(Consumption was what tuberculosis was called in the old days.)

zozee 11-11-2017 12:33 PM

Bear!!! LOL. You crack me up.

I always think of consumption as eating, not using, but I know it has multiple meanings. So when I saw the phrase, I thought "for individual consumption" means I have to eat the pattern myself. haha.

No, just means you can't sell it and you shouldn't make copies and pass them out to friends or classmates. The pattern maker deserves to make money off his her time and creativity. This label protects intellectual property.

Sandygirl 11-11-2017 12:42 PM

Not for manufacturing purposes.
sandy

Jane Quilter 11-11-2017 12:43 PM

1995? how old is this fabric you are purchasing?

NJ Quilter 11-12-2017 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7942036)
Jeanne S is correct.

Forgive me - but this is what came to my mind -

Only for individuals with tuberculosis - no one else can use it.

(Consumption was what tuberculosis was called in the old days.)

!

Bear...that is still what I use as a phrase today, lol! I guess we are of a same age! Whoa baby!

DACO48 11-12-2017 09:12 AM

I'm glad you cleared that up. We love western movies. I took thought consumption meant stomach problems of some kind. Never to old to learn.

themadpatter 11-12-2017 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7942096)
1995? how old is this fabric you are purchasing?

It's ok, it's not stale, it's still safe to "consume," lol! I got it in a grab bag from SGW, and it's super cute, and as fresh as if it were made well, not yesterday, because it doesn't smell like dye any more... but it's still beautiful and the colors are vibrant. See?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583762[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking they must mean you can't use it for mass production, because why would they make fabric that could Only be used for things that can't be sold?

selm 11-13-2017 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter (Post 7942735)
It's ok, it's not stale, it's still safe to "consume," lol! I got it in a grab bag from SGW, and it's super cute, and as fresh as if it were made well, not yesterday, because it doesn't smell like dye any more... but it's still beautiful and the colors are vibrant. See?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583762[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking they must mean you can't use it for mass production, because why would they make fabric that could Only be used for things that can't be sold?

They are talking about the "design(pattern)" on the fabric. You can use the fabric as you want-give/sell. As you stated you can not use the fabric for mass production.