Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What does this phrase mean (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-does-phrase-mean-t162232.html)

clsurz 10-22-2011 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I met a very nice lady at Hancock fabrics today, when I asked her if she quilted she said " no, but I quilt at". What does that meen? I have been confused ever since, and I can't stop wondering what she means by this.

It means she plays at it. At least that is what it means where I come from.

Margie 10-22-2011 10:36 AM

Must be a colloquial expression, I have never heard it before. Dangling preposition lol.

tenngal 10-22-2011 10:56 AM

Llikewise our Hancock's in Bowling Green KY store - nothing but fleece!

FroggyinTexas 10-22-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I met a very nice lady at Hancock fabrics today, when I asked her if she quilted she said " no, but I quilt at". What does that meen? I have been confused ever since, and I can't stop wondering what she means by this.
By the way I was very disappointed in Hancock fabric by 1604 and 35 in SAn Antonio. They had very limited selection of fabric unless you wanted fleece and then there was a lot. At least I have a lot of places to buy fabric from around here.

I can tell you don't yet speak Texan. If you quilt at, paint at, write at you are trying to get whatever it is you are doing right.
In Texanese, you may be a Nobel Prize winner and still only be "working at."

Do you know what cattycornered, whompered, thingamobob, etc, are? Google Texanisms and you will get a whole dictionary of them. My mother often said, "I feel like I've been dragged through a brush heap backward." I don't think that's one of the Texanisms, but you get the picture. Texas speech is picturesque and absolutely rich. froggy (with a west texas accent and proud of it)in texas

Pete 10-22-2011 12:04 PM

Memories By the Yard Bandera and Mainland has a huge selection as does Fabric and Friends in Castroville.

Rose Bagwell 10-22-2011 12:49 PM

Maybe she meant she attemps at quilting .

Rose Bagwell 10-22-2011 12:49 PM

Maybe she meant she attemps at quilting .

misoop 10-22-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by kathy

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I love the Hancock Fabrics in Anderson, SC. Their wall of absolute cotton is amazing! hmmm.. not sure what she meant by that phase - maybe she means she tries but doesn't consider herself good enough to refer to herself as a quilter?

that's what it would mean around here

That's what it means here in AR, too......she feels it's her attempt at quilting, but doesn't feel that it's very good.

redmadder 10-22-2011 03:31 PM

The phrase means, I work on it now and again but seldom actually get anything done. Or put another way, I put in a few stitches when it catches my attention, I have the intention but don't actually get much done.

Isn't there a translation for southernisms out there?

jbj137 10-22-2011 03:44 PM

That is a way of saying,
"I quilt but do not think I am good at it".
J J