Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the downside to Muslin??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-downside-muslin-t58356.html)

Ann S. 08-10-2010 09:00 AM

I love a muslin backing on the more traditional quilts. When washed, it really wrinkles up and looks great. I use my Joann's coupons and buy whole bolts in white and cream.

mayday 08-10-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
muslin is cotton. wash it to control shinkage. Nothing is wrong with muslin.

your muslin must be different to that in GB, here it is thinnish/light weight and used for curtains/draping---- less transparent than net and more malleable.

newbee 08-10-2010 11:36 AM

I use it for quilting practice but have never used it in a quilt. But I may now after reading this!

pegstar 08-10-2010 04:59 PM

JoAnn's also has a 200 thread count muslin that I have used
with no problem...I made a picture quilt with it ....have used
it for Raggedy Ann dolls and used for back of quilt....
Have also used it in tops of quilt....If they don't have it
ask them if they can order it.....I used to live 2 miles from
their main store in Hudson, Ohio...they have it there.
If they tell you they need the number before they can order
you can call the store in Hudson and get the number for it.

cindyg 08-11-2010 07:28 AM

I have used muslin for backing and the background of my Cathedral Windows quilt (the best muslin I could find). Some is horrible - thin and feels like sandpaper. Now if I need solid white or cream I use Kona solids. For backings I use the 108" wide fabric. Most of my quilts are on the large side.

anniehug 08-11-2010 11:08 AM

Here in England muslin is called calico. I use it a lot, it dyes really well and gives a great individual look to quilts.

auntmarie 08-12-2010 03:37 AM

I have used it for my string quilts and they have come out very nice. I only buy it from my quilt store but there are different grades of it. I just feel it first.

AkAngel 08-12-2010 11:18 AM

I saw some muslim the other day at one of our local shops and I fell in love with it. It was much heavier and nice feel than any I've ever seen at Jo Anns or other stores. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use this muslim in my quilts.
Muriel

quilterguy27 08-12-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
I saw some muslim the other day at one of our local shops and I fell in love with it. It was much heavier and nice feel than any I've ever seen at Jo Anns or other stores. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use this muslim in my quilts.
Muriel

ROFLMBO!!!!! I'm sure you mean "muslin" and not "muslim". I think it would be hilarious to try and sew a muslim into your quilt with them screaming and fighting the whole way. I'm so sorry I found this so amusing. I hope I haven't offended anyone. That wasn't my intention.

AkAngel 08-12-2010 01:59 PM

lol, leave to the spelling police to find me out. lol guilty as charged.
Muriel