Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What ELSE Do You Use Your Scraps For? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-else-do-you-use-your-scraps-t260883.html)

PaperPrincess 02-07-2015 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7079697)
I use the 100% cotton ones as mulch in my perennial beds.

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7079983)
Really! I never thought of that!!!!!how long for cotton fabric to breakdown?

It lasts about 18 to 24 months. I would not put it on vegetables because of the dyes etc. It's amazing to see the fading/fade resistance of fabrics. Some fade almost to white in a couple weeks and some retain their color the entire time. I snip into large confetti pieces because I've read that birds can use long strings to build nests and then get tangled up in them. I just get a dishpan of scraps and use rag quilt scissors. Just keep plunging the scissors into the fabric & snip. Good TV watching activity. I also use scraps of cotton batting, even tho it has a poly scrim.

LindaMRB 02-07-2015 08:07 AM

I have a friend who just throws them in the yard and the birds help themselves. When you clean the birdhouse out each fall you can see what they chose…
I saw a bird try to pick up a wad of dog hair I had thrown in the yard one day. It was a nuthatch and he pulled and pulled and finally gave up - it was too wet and matted…
I like the mulching and tying ideas, too! I had forgotten about using old fabric for holding tomato vines up to the stakes...

rosiewell 02-07-2015 08:49 AM

fabric boxes, lunch, totes and favors bags.

Onebyone 02-07-2015 09:51 AM

After a while and several bins full of scraps I find it best to give them to someone that can use them. They are no good just crammed in a bin waiting for me. Then I start over filling the bins.

Skittl1321 02-07-2015 11:14 AM

I love to make rag wreaths to decorate my door seasonally.

I use them instead of fiber fill in pillows.

madamekelly 02-07-2015 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by LindaMRB (Post 7080946)
I have a friend who just throws them in the yard and the birds help themselves. When you clean the birdhouse out each fall you can see what they chose…
I saw a bird try to pick up a wad of dog hair I had thrown in the yard one day. It was a nuthatch and he pulled and pulled and finally gave up - it was too wet and matted…
I like the mulching and tying ideas, too! I had forgotten about using old fabric for holding tomato vines up to the stakes...

I was told NOT to put cotton scraps out for the birds. The cotton gets wet in the rain, and can kill the eggs or babies by not drying fast enough. I spaghetti slice then chop fleece scraps and throw them out for the birds, and now when I toss them, the birds are right there to scoop them up every spring. They are warm and insulating for them and dry quickly.

Just had a funny thought- with all we have been hearing about drones spying on us, can you just imagine a drone flying over my neighborhood, and seeing all those brightly colored birds nests in my neighborhood? The headline would read "Military Drone identifies new variety of nest building Bird!"

Onebyone 02-07-2015 04:43 PM

DH bought a drone. He thinks it is the best thing ever. It does take great videos of the landscape.

miriam 02-08-2015 03:31 AM

I have a scrap pile for the DGDs to play with - they do all kinds of things - hand warmers, Barbie clothes, crazy quilts, tote bags, tote decor, t-shirt decor, hair decorations, they try it all

Aurora 02-08-2015 04:28 AM

I use them for Locker Hooking and I just ordered rug braiding tools.

Whigrose 02-08-2015 05:03 AM

I use them in making fabric covered, coiled bowls and coasters. You'd be surprised how far a 3/4" x 5" scrap will go.

Best,
deb in Maine