Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What first attracted you to quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-attracted-you-quilting-t194795.html)

beckyboo1 07-19-2012 03:49 PM

I come from a long line of quilters...my great great grandmother had neighbors who would give her scraps and she would piece quilt tops. My grandmother did many quilts and I can remember the quilt frame she had set up when I was a kid. Mom always liked to sew but really didnt start quilting til she retired. She got my teenager daughter interested. I never liked to sew, thought it was a tedious job. Then I received an email link to a quilting site and I checked out and was soon bitten by the bug. It's truly a family tradition!

maryb119 07-19-2012 05:13 PM

I can't ever remember a time when i wasn't sewing something. My mom and both grandma's sewed all the time. I learned to sew when I was very little. The first quilt I ever made was for my DD when she went from the crib to a big girl bed. I used Tri-Chem fabric paints to make Sun Bonnet Sue blocks and then made sashing and a border and machine quilted it. I used 5/8 inch seams and polyester fabric! She is now 38 and still has the quilt! I have learned a lot since then. I made most of my clothes and my kids clothes. Quilting is a creative outlet for me and I love it. I have several quilts planned in my head before I finish the one I am working on. I usually have several projects going at one time.

franc36 07-19-2012 05:26 PM

My daughter wanted me to make a quilt for my grandson. I selected an Alex Anderson wall hanging of sail boats and made it into a full size quilt. It was eight years later before I tried quilting again. Now I'm quilting every spare minute and having so much fun! I think this board has kept me quilting. I have learned so much from all of you. Thanks!

Scrap41 07-19-2012 07:00 PM

After sewing clothes and craft things, I found quilting and wanted to leave my children and grandchildren something
I made. I have quilts that my Grandmother made and one from my Great GrandMother, whom I knew for several
years...and it is hand quilted Grandmothers Flower Garden. My mother did not sew!! Now I have found out I
am going to be a Great Grandmother in February, so I need to make baby things...lol
Sometimes I feel like I am a collector....patterns, fabrics, and notions!

berrypatch 07-19-2012 07:51 PM

I love antique quilts & fabric, so thought it would be nice to give quilting a try.

gollytwo 07-20-2012 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter (Post 5376488)
I love this topic! Every one of these stories is wonderful! Thanks to everyone for sharing!

this is the only thread in my 2+ yrs of Board membership that I have read every word of every entry - some even brought on tears, some laughter, lots of smiles - they are wonderful stories
thank you all for sharing them.

northerncreations 07-20-2012 04:23 AM

We were expecting our 3rd grandchild and thought a quilt would be beautiful. Was on vacation on NC and the "boutiques" I visited all had quilts -- Made in China. I was so frustrated when I returned home, I decided I can make a quilt myself. I have been sewing since my early teens -- my mother and her sisters were all seamstresses. I am self taught and have been quilting for over 5 years. It is such a relaxing and rewarding hobby. How can you go wrong giving a gift made by your hands and given from your heart.

Digitizingqueen 07-20-2012 06:27 AM

Let's see started sewing when I was 8 made lots of clothes and other stuff wasn't going to quilt because it was too time consuming.... Had grandsons..... Hmmm cant really make cloths for them, took a class with my boyfriends ex wife ( we had a blast) now quilting is my primary focus long arm, making etc.... Love quilts and really one size fitsall

jojo47 07-24-2012 08:36 PM

My maternal grandmother almost always had a quilt on the frame...when they lived on the farm and even after she and Grandpa moved to town (usually a Log Cabin). My mom also quilted, but not so much until we kids were grown; she sewed many things for me and for my sisters, and the scraps from the clothing projects went to Grandma. I was always interested in sewing and quilting...did much more garment sewing before I was married, and a lot for my girls when small and prom dresses as teenagers. Didn't really start quilting until 8 to 10 years ago. I've been having fun lately making t-shirt quilts.