Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Was The First Quilt You Made? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-quilt-you-made-t67090.html)

pennyj123 09-28-2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by laurlync
My first (earlier this year) was a Lone Star. I was really nervous and wasn't sure I could do it, but I wanted to make that pattern so bad, I just went for it! It has quite a few errors, but I am very pleased with the overall quilt. It was a present for my DBF's birthday and, once it was done, I couldn't wait...he got it early!!

This is really pretty. You give me the courage to havago. :)

cr12cats 09-28-2010 07:39 PM

my very first thing I did was a wallhanging of houses going up a winding hill. Self taught here also. It is still on my wall. That was in 1998.

EmsMom 09-28-2010 08:08 PM

Such fabulous stories and beautiful quilts. Definitely a group of very talented quilters! Thanks for sharing. I will be starting mine on Sunday. I just hope I don't mess it up!

fishnlady 09-28-2010 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a class to do my first and only quilt this last Winter. Here is a picture of it.

My Mom and Dad are holding it up. I made it for him for Father's Day.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108368[/ATTACH]

pennyj123 09-28-2010 08:55 PM

Well done, that looks really nice. You have done a great job.:)

Gramyx7 09-28-2010 09:13 PM

The first quilt I made by myself was in 1973, I emborided animal blocks and put animal flannel around them, for the batting I used my favorite comfy blankie... and I hand quilted it.. for my first son that was born in 1973. I used the same animal print flannel for the backing, I think the color was a sea green.. It lasted for years. Went through two more kids...What a memory... I hadn't thought about that in years...

lue 09-28-2010 09:19 PM

My first quilt was a Twisted Bargello! If you don't know any better, you'll try ANYTHING! I saw a sampe in the quilt store & it was beautiful. I took the class but didn't finish the quilt. 3 years later I went back to the quilt shop and the owner helped me finish it. I enlarged the wall hanging pattern to make a Queen size quilt. I miscounted somewhere and the Bargello didn't TWIST! But I've learned that if you attempt to do one thing (even recipes) & it turns out differently, call it something else! So I call my beautiful, colorful quilt a Drunken Bargello! I love it!

Lisaginger 09-28-2010 09:45 PM

My first was a Magic Six pattern that I made into a wallhanging.

fishnlady 09-28-2010 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by pennyj123
Well done, that looks really nice. You have done a great job.:)

Thank you. It was quite an experience. I am wanting to make a quilt incorporating a rainbow for my Mom this winter. Hope I am up to the challenge.

GailG 09-29-2010 03:34 AM

My first quilt was a lap-size of 12-inch blocks made by coworkers in a block swap. I suppose my block was the "ugliest" because I didn't have a clue about block design. I knew about sewing, but I didn't know about quilting. That was in '95 and the quilt is still in use today.