Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the first thing you do when FMQ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-thing-you-do-when-fmq-t130981.html)

ohiobuckeye 06-16-2011 06:52 PM

I hold the top thread, push the needle up/down button twice and gently pull up the bottom thread, and just go for it. When I first started, my stitches were really small too. I watched a few videos on youtube and the best tip I got was fast machine, slow hands. I set the adjustable speed at about halfway and it allows me to go a little slower until I get in the rhythm.

Debd 06-17-2011 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I enjoy a nice large glass of cold white wine, bring up my bobbin thread, do a couple of tiny stitches to "lock" and go for it :mrgreen:

I've heard about the wine tip, and highly recommend it! It is like premedicating before strenuous exercise, and you feel better later with better results!

Pbecker 06-17-2011 03:23 AM

For a small project like a potholder, I leave my feed dogs up. It works like a stitch regulator. For bigger projects, I put my work on a hoop with the hoop facing up. It works like a frame, keeping my layers taut and giving me something to hold on to.

stitchengramie 06-17-2011 03:24 AM

What does FMQ stand for?

Debbie C 06-17-2011 03:28 AM

I like the part about the glass of wine!! LOL!

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I enjoy a nice large glass of cold white wine, bring up my bobbin thread, do a couple of tiny stitches to "lock" and go for it :mrgreen:

janeknapp 06-17-2011 03:43 AM

FMQ is Free Motion Quilting.

Start stitching by pulling the bobbin thread to the top and then make 4-5 very small stitches before going to regular sized stitches. Don't stitch in place or backstitch as threads build up. When stopping, make 4-5 small stitches and then pull the bobbin thread to the top and cut.

jitkaau 06-17-2011 03:46 AM

If I start on the edge, I start stitching on the wadding part and don't do anything else to it as it will be cut off and buried in the binding. If I start elsewhere, I bring up the bobbin thread and leave long ends to knot and bury in a similar way to hand quilting.
Some people stitch very small stitches in the same spot for about 4 or 5 stitches and then clip the long threads off. I don't like this look. I don't want my stops and starts to be detected.

Midwestmary 06-17-2011 03:56 AM

I always practice my design first on a scrap sandwich made from the same material and batt as the quilt. that helps me get in the groove!

mshollysd 06-17-2011 03:58 AM

I never back stitch, I test my tension on a dummy sandwich by FMQ and checking the back often to get the right look. When I start the quilt I start in the middle. I pull up my thread and make 2-3 stitches in place and then I take off. As far as the slider, it is nice but not entirely necessary. I always wear machiner gloves, that will be better than any slider. I started wearing those rubber dipped gloves that the post office people wear. You can buy them at Walmart for $4. Take a deep breath and have fun. Put your needle in down position if you can, that way when you stop it stays where you are at.

mimiknoxtaylor 06-17-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by carslo
Pray

Same here. :lol: Since I make my quilts to be loved, dragged, etc I usually do take a couple of back stitches after pulling up my bobbin thread.