Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-thing-you-ever-sewed-how-old-were-you-t47234.html)

QuiltMania 06-03-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk

Originally Posted by Leota

Originally Posted by prm
As a retired Home Ec. (now called Family and Consumer Science FACS) teacher I wish all of the respondents to this question could contact their state education departments to stop eliminating Home Ec. from the middle and high schools and return to foods and sewing classes. My state , Pennsylvania says sewing is a craft and not a life skill and has removed it from the middle school curriculum.
PRM

nutrition is NOT a life skill?????? Cooking isn't a Life skill???? Oh and sewing doesn't use any Math or Higher level thinking skills and cooking doesn't use science knowledge.....WHATEVER... those ppl in our gov. can't even sew on a button or boil water! Put them on an island with nothing but a basic clothes no food... let them figure out how to survive...
HomeEc provides the knowledge of survival with minimal materials.

Pip pip and hurray!!! I concur whole-heartedly!

Sorry, I have to be the lone dissenter here. Sewing, although we all enjoy it, does not qualify any more as a life skill. Perhaps when folks had to make their own clothes it did, but it is no longer necessary to make your own clothes. Nutrition is still considered as a life skill and is, at least in Michigan, still taught but not as a separate class. It is incorporated into the science curriculum. Cooking is a life skill but it really does not belong as part of the school's responsibility in my humble opinion. Teaching kids how to prepare meals should be a parental responsibility. I really feel that too much that should be the parents' job is pushed off on the schools. Cooking as a trade (i.e. restaurant cooking or catering) is still taught at the high school level, at least it is around me.

zz-pd 06-03-2010 03:16 PM

I think I was 11 also, and I made a wrap around skirt in school. God bless. Penny

Tiffany 06-04-2010 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by winterswisper
Thanks for the congrats. Unfortunately, I am home-bound now because my MS has advanced to the point that I don't get around too well and have lots of falls. I am utilizing the internet to take classes and meet fellow quilters and you are right. It is so much more enjoyable than doing it alone.

Ouch! (((hugs))) I have Fibromyalgia and a few other things that keep me mostly home-bound & unable to work so I can definitely sympathize. Kudos for you for not giving in and giving up! I haven't tried the Internet classes yet, though my friends tell me they are loads of fun. I look forward to seeing pictures of some of the stuff you get to make in these classes!

bezzie58 06-04-2010 06:36 AM

I was 7 and it was my first 4-h sewing project it was a simple apron with draw strings. My mother sewed all the time when i was little and made most of our clothes at least the girls clothes. I was very sick for a period of 4 years and could only wear certain kinds of fabric and nothing with lace or elastic and nothing with any kind of bands so she had to be very creative for me.

grammypatty7 06-04-2010 01:50 PM

The internet and connection to online friends is one of the best things for those of us who for whatever reason can't get out and about or around people. I've had a couple of major illnesses that slowed me down and one was before the computer and internet and I really felt alone. The next was with the computer and it helped make my recovery so much better. I love my computer and internet friends.
Hugs
Patty

Originally Posted by Tiffany

Originally Posted by winterswisper
Thanks for the congrats. Unfortunately, I am home-bound now because my MS has advanced to the point that I don't get around too well and have lots of falls. I am utilizing the internet to take classes and meet fellow quilters and you are right. It is so much more enjoyable than doing it alone.

Ouch! (((hugs))) I have Fibromyalgia and a few other things that keep me mostly home-bound & unable to work so I can definitely sympathize. Kudos for you for not giving in and giving up! I haven't tried the Internet classes yet, though my friends tell me they are loads of fun. I look forward to seeing pictures of some of the stuff you get to make in these classes!

Tiffany 06-05-2010 01:38 PM

I agree. I would feel very isolated with the Internet and tv. And the best part, besides not being isolated, is that I get to see and learn all sorts of great quilt stuff and meet such amazing people!!

gloryj8 06-18-2010 07:49 AM

I was 10 or 11 yrs. old and The first thing I ever made was for 4-H the draw string bag. must of been a big thing back then!!! then on to Home Ec. at 12-13 yrs old we made a shirt. I remember picking one way to hard and the sweet teacher helped me alot.