Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is a good lower price Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-good-lower-price-sewing-machine-t146709.html)

totosmom 08-21-2011 08:26 AM

Happy birthday Judy! May you have many more.

In that price range, I'd visit the Bernina dealers and see what used machines they have to offer. You could get an older, non-computerized model like the 830 Record or the 930. They are real workhorses and either model would be a great back up machine. (I'll admit my bias: I really love those older mechanical machines.)

Of course, if there's no other machine out there that strikes your fancy, a gift certificate for supplies from one or two quilt shops would make your day, don't ya think?

judyrael 08-21-2011 08:29 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. The only machine I had before I got the DC2010 Janome is an old J.C. Penny's and I'm amazed at the new machines today. I think an embroidery machine would be neat, but when I read about them, they really sound confusing with all the computer stuff.

Nanamoms 08-21-2011 09:07 AM

Oh, embroidery machines are not confusing at all...just a little scary at first. Once I learned mine, I LOVE it and I have shown several people how to use it and they say "so simple"!! I have 2 machines, both Brothers, one a combo sewing/embr the other embr only. Of course, this doesn't count my growing collection of "vintage" machines. :)

Happy Birthday!! and what a sweet hubby!!

yayaquilts 08-21-2011 09:10 AM

I've bought both my daughter and daughter in law Brother sewing machines. Great little machine for the money (both under $500).

doll-lady 08-21-2011 09:11 AM

have fun picking one out.

medots 08-21-2011 01:43 PM

I have 3 Viking and just love them the first on I bought is still the best machine and will never sell it, all metal part and replaceable.

wanda lou 08-21-2011 01:48 PM

Happy Birthday.

SharonTheriault 08-21-2011 02:01 PM

I like my little Janome 750. It's only 12 pounds and is good for classes or retreats. I can't remember how much it is, but know it's under $500. I wouldn't have paid that for it.

Have a Happy Birthday whatever you buy and enjoy your day with that sweet husband of yours.

patchsamkim 08-21-2011 02:55 PM

happy birthday!!!! I hope you find the perfect machine within your budget...you should be able to find a machine...either used or new with what you are able to spend.

Lucky Lady 08-21-2011 03:06 PM

Happy Birthday!! The Brother SE-400 is a good sewing/embroidery machine. It has allot of features that some of the higher end machines have. It will do 4"x4" embroidery designs. You can find it at Walmart for $389.00. If they don't have it in stock it can be ordered and sent to your local store. That is how I did mine and also got a $30.00 rebate offer with it. Good luck shopping and hope you find something that you will enjoy using.

Blessings!!